I was fishing this morning and caught several nice size bass, when all of a sudden a big turtle came out of under my canoe and bit the bass on my hook!!! It did not want to let go!!! It was moving its head sideways to rip the bass appart and finally managed to detach it from my hook and run away with it. The water around the canoe was full of bass scales...
Unfortunately I could not get my phone in time to film this, but It came back like 2 minutes later so I filmed it at that time.
Here is the link to the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbzapze-eqY
[/youtube]

After that I was scared to even wash my hands in the water...

Do you guys know what kind of turtle this is?

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:08 am

I've noticed a lot of turtles this year. That must have been a crazy thing to watch.

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:45 am

Common snapping turtle and best to keep fingers and toes out of the water with those guys close by!

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:48 am

wow great shot, looks like a great place, look at how clear that water is!

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:06 am

Yeah, those guys are mean. A couple weeks ago I was down in Chatham doing some shore fishing. I had my line in the water about three feet from my feet, which were bare, while I fiddled with the reel. I felt something hit the lure, and this is what I pulled up:

And this is what that little guy did to my lure (could have been a toe!):

Imagine what a big one could do.

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:10 pm

They can really be a PIA and are not shy! They will swim right up to the yak and sometimes follow me around for awhile. Evil or Very Mad

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:13 pm

had a HUGE one approaching me in my yak. Teasing it with my crawfish jig. it was chasing it then I thought...if I hooked it, how would I get it off? know how nasty they can be, I decided against it

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Had a snapper we kept as a pet in a 50gal garbage pale when we were kids. A friend staring and laughing at the turtles awkward excited state when snap!!! Off with his lip! Many stitches later his lip was fixed. Thank goodness it was way back when before lawyers got their greedy hands into every little thing.

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:43 pm

They do swim right up to the yak sometimes, will scare the eff out of me every now and then. I've seen a couple that were so big I was a little concerned about letting em get too close. Caught one from the shore last summer that must've weighed 40lbs, it was terrifying, lol.

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:56 pm

i was with a guy who caught a snapper punching a creature bait on a 1 oz. weight haha

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:13 pm

I went back this morning and saw it again under my canoe... when I was washing my hand... it followed me for like 5 minutes. The head of this thing was at least the size of my open hand!

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:10 pm

badlarry

Had a snapper we kept as a pet in a 50gal garbage pale when we were kids. A friend staring and laughing at the turtles awkward excited state when snap!!! Off with his lip! Many stitches later his lip was fixed. Thank goodness it was way back when before lawyers got their greedy hands into every little thing.

Ouch!!

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:19 pm

samf

i was with a guy who caught a snapper punching a creature bait on a 1 oz. weight haha

I had one hit my frog a few years ago at a pond in Halifax. Hit is so fast and hard, I thought I was having a heart attack. Scared the pissed out me. Haha.

Luckily it got only the frog and not the hooks, but I still had to beat it with my oar to get it to let go. They're mean.

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 pm

samf

He's awesome

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:25 am

I've caught 2 snapping turtles this year on a frog and while punching grass. Both times I thought I had a hog but the one on the frog made me think I had an 8 pounder. I cast near a dock and saw a huge wake dart out just like a fish. Then the lure gets sucked under like a fish and when I set the hook I was amped...then reeled in a sack of potatoes.

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:08 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links