Any one fish near Taunton? What would be a good pole to use to catch stripe bass? What kind of lures should I use. This will be my first time an I'm stocking a new tackle box for saltwater. I'm getting a kayak also to use.

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:39 pm

I go out on the Taunton River from time to time, sometimes I'll use clam bellies for Stripers and Crabs for Tautog. I will also use big striper lures with a teaser fly among a few other things. I usually just take saltwater spinning rods for the Stripers (short ones) and casting rods for Tog as I just drop the line over the side while I cast for stripers and hope they both don't hit at the same time haha.

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm not 100% but I'd be surprised if you found strippers as far up as Taunton on the Taunton River. I've never encountered strippers or blues much farther North beyond teh fork of the Assonet River.. If you want good striber fishing, your going to want to head to the lower river, Narragansett bay or Ocean Front depending on the time of year.

Posted Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:14 pm

I have been closer to Fall River when I fished them. [/list]

Posted Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:55 pm

How about around Dighton boat ramp next to the bridge, I've seen thousands of baby fish along the banks during spawning season . What kind of lures can I stock on ?

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:34 am

I've caught them as far up in the Taunton river as Taunton... on small swim shads... nothing huge but they are there

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:41 am

Got a couple of fishing kayaks for my son and I to try out there this summer , what else can we find around there. Would like to try around Shepard's Cove also this year. Any color swim shad's ? How about any live bait? I like to use lures my self an get live bait for my son to keep him busy .

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 am

Can't beat clam bellies for live bait. For lures I use a teaser rig with a saltwater rapala.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:26 pm

I fish there in the spring and fall. Plastics, tube and worm and live lining pogies all work well.

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:35 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links