Like to try a baitcaster for the first time and have no clue what to get. I do have a Quantam Team KVD rod 7'4'' Med Hvy. so now I need a reel and line. $ no more than 130, 150. What would you guys recommend and I think I need a left handed but don't see much of them so maybe that's odd? I'm right handed and think I would feel comfortable with that like the spinning reel.
Appreciate any recommendations and or advise!

Thx

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:17 pm

that's easy
shimano
curado

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:29 pm

I'm right handed but use lefty reels. I know a bunch of people that do. I have a couple of reels laying around if you want to buy one. I have a bass pro shops pro qualifier I'd sell for 50. It's a 7:1 ratio. And I have a shimano chronarch 6:4 ratio that I'd sell for 110.

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Just bought my 1st baitcast reel in a decade, went with Pflueger Xtreme reel. Shimano curado is the best, but just liked this model I got a bit.

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 pm

In my opinion Lews makes the best baitcast reels for the money. The speed spool lfs model is 100$ and fishes like a reel in a much higher price range. The braking system on them is also very good so they are easy to learn on and takes a lot the frustration out of it. Plus theyre basically bomb proof and last forever.

Tight lines,
Chris

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:03 pm

right handed - left reels ....and lews

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks guys, I'm told don't go cheap because a cheap reel will act like a cheap reel. I'll let you guys know what I come up with and thanks for the offer Shawn but I'm going to buy new. I know I'll get my moneys worth.

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:42 am

snow66

right handed - left reels ....and lews

. What ?

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm right handed and like the LH reel. I don't like doing the switch over after casting and prefer the power arm controlling the rod. Get a good reel, nothing more frustrating than picking out birdsnest. I find V spools help when casting into the wind, but they are not necessary.

You guys like Lew's brand huh, I'm going buy and try one out. Any specific model best for spinnerbaiting?

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:43 pm

The last 4 bait cast reels that I've bought are Lews. I've bought the higher end reels that aren't in your price range but based on their quality and Lews reputation, I'd say you can't go wrong. Also if you buy from eBay you will get a new reel at a considerable savings.

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:06 pm

I've been hearing people here rave about Lews for 3 years now. Perhaps its time I upgraded as I'm in the market. That being said, my BPS Pro Qualifier 7:1 rips them out of the pads and has never given me trouble. Great reel, especially for the price.

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:14 pm

I have the BB1 and the BB1 pro.... I've used spinning gear all of my life until I bought these last year and year before.... I was afraid of backlashes and these have great braking adjustablity.....I did a lot of research, and there are a lot of people loving Lews reels

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:37 pm

I like shimano and 13 fishing. 13 has a new one thats in your price range. I only have hands on with the higher end ones

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:15 pm

I need help too now.

If anyone has a nice system for dialing the magnetic braking to balance control and casting distance, let me know!!!! I was doing ok today, then went way back on the mag and made a mess of my spool.
Been a long time with one of these things Smile

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Dialing in your magnetic system is easy.

First start with the cast control knob on the handle side of your reel. With your lure attached and thumb-bar depressed, slowly back the cast control knob off until your bait falls slowly.

Now adjust your magnetic control 1/2 - 2/3 of its maximum setting.

Make your casts smooth and easy with your thumb just over your spool. You probably won't get geat distance, but as you get more comfortable with casting, you'll back both the cast-control and magnetic adjustment and your accuracy and distance will come.

It takes some time, but is well worth it.

This might help: http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/172271-how-to-cast-a-baitcaster/

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:36 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links