This weekend its supposed to be a high of 40 where I live. I usually stop targeting bass, and focus purely on trout in September and later, but I want to hit a local bass pond again this weekend. How do the bass usually react to these cold temps? If it is warm in the days before, will the bass not slow down as fast? And what lures are good at this time for bass?

Posted Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:14 pm

Im not to sure what lures work best, but i do know that when the water temps lower so do the fishes aggressiveness and eating habits. When a cold front hits many bass find cover, and move toward shore, where most cover is available. You're gonna want to fish SLOW! Bass just don't move as fast in the cold, they tend to be rather sluggish. You gotta go out and find the bass they wont just find your lure like usual.

Posted Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Go deeper , work your lure slower and find isolated structure .

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:48 am

I have had some decent days using a blade bait,drop shot & jig all deep. But worked slow.
Good luck

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:15 am

Your water temp is still in the high 50's. Best bite is yet to come!

Low 50's to about 43-45 is where I like the water to be for the fall bite.

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 am

Hey Tommy do you still find them shallow when the water drops to the 40'?

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:46 am

usually in the fall wherever you find bait you will find the fish. im usually up shallow all year long catching fish. lots of reaction baits

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:31 am

jamesd

Hey Tommy do you still find them shallow when the water drops to the 40'?

yes I do, more in the afternoon.

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:56 am

get jiggy with it, nah nah nah, get jiggy with it!

love the jigs! i fish shallow ponds less the 10 feet, if they are 10 feet its a small area. so your lure will get into the fish face. better chance for a bite.jerkbaits and jigs!

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'm probably gonna be fishing a relatively deep lake, so I'll break out the jigs.

But just wondering, if I were fishing a small, shallow, weedy lake, that I couldn't throw a jig or fish deep in, what would I use? In shallow waters, are senkos and finesse small plastics good?

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:19 pm

the bass will be around the bait this time of year - could be shallow, could be deep. it all depends. it's never always the same at different places. but they will likely be deeper at a clear water place without a lot of shallow structure. especially this weekend with a massive cold front rolling in. i'd check there first and if they're not there, move shallower.

spinnerbaits are great in the fall. jerkbaits too. i was at a clear water place last weekend and they were out in deep water flats. dragging a finesse jig painfully slowly worked.

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Was at a spot today where the water is like chocolate milk. water temp was 57. caught 5 fish in the 10 ft range just marinating a jig in about 2 1/2 hours this afternoon

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 pm

teamtrout

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'm probably gonna be fishing a relatively deep lake, so I'll break out the jigs.

But just wondering, if I were fishing a small, shallow, weedy lake, that I couldn't throw a jig or fish deep in, what would I use? In shallow waters, are senkos and finesse small plastics good?

the place you described is all that i fish. i do go to deeper places but not often,. find wood cover and fish a jig! jerbaits, texas rig all work good. also try a drop shot. its not used often in these places but its a really good coldwater bait

Posted Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:01 am

also in cold water. try and find springs. the water will be warmer then the cold water around it, fish will stack up. i was smoking bass in a deeper channel at a damn in february. its a shallow pond but this spot had steep drop off. they were stacked up!

ive caught bass in 10 feet and 3 feet in the cold water and ice fishing!

Posted Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 am

Fished a shallow pond on Friday. Was flat calm and sunny when I got there. Nothing happening. The clouds rolled in and the wind picked up and they started hitting the chatterbait. Got a few bass and a couple of pickerel. Water temp was probably still upper 50's but that will change over the next couple of days.

Posted Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:29 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links