While Joe is away, I'll be hosting the next tournament. Check out the details below. If interested, head on over to https://www.facebook.com/events/1098482950179769 and click Going. Or, if you don't have Facebook, say you're "in" here.

Boston Bass Stranglers, in partnership with Mass Bass Boys, will host its fourth tournament on August 29, 2015, at Lake Winthrop in Holliston, MA.

This tournament is open only to those fishing from man-powered (kayak, canoe, etc.) or electric-powered (cartopper) vessels.

Launch Location: https://goo.gl/maps/FkDNv (Pleasure Point Road, Holliston, MA)

Arrival: 5:30 AM (or earlier)

Tournament Hours: 6 AM to 2 PM

Entry Fee: $50 (per vessel)

This is a CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament. You do not need a livewell.

Please read the following rules:

1. All boats must be human powered (kayaks, canoes, paddleboard, etc.) or electric powered. No gas motors.

2. Entry fee is $50 and paid per person or team. All fees are to be paid prior to launch. Participants arriving after launch may still participate in the tournament by paying their fee to a tournament official within the first two hours of the tournament; it is the participant's responsibility to locate the tournament officials on the water.

3. Multi-person boats are acceptable; fish as a team (one entry fee) or individually (two entry fees).

4. Artificial lures only, no live or formerly live bait. No fly fishing.

5. All participants must have a valid in-state fishing license and a PFD. No need to wear it the entire time, just have one on board per person.

6. Start and end times are final and absolute...unless voted otherwise by a majority of participants.

7. Digital camera and digital scale are required equipment. Please try to get a scale that measures in pounds and ounces. Rapala makes a great one!

8. Scales will be calibrated against a standardized weight prior to tournament start and a handicap established for those weighing light or heavy.

9. Default unit measurement is pounds and ounces. Another unit of measure may be used based on a review of the participants’ scales and subject to a majority vote by the group.

10. Participants must take two photos of each fish: (1) a full body shot and (2) a clear shot of the scale's digital readout and head of fish.

11. Each participant will be given a unique identifier prior to launch, which must be visible in all photos.

12. Minimum weight for a fish is 1lb.

13. Remove lures from fish BEFORE photographing them. Visible lures in photos will disqualify your fish.

14. Unclear or questionable scale readings will be subject to review and vote by the group.

15. A scorecard is provided to each participant; participants are responsible for writing in the weights of their fish and totaling them.

16. Completed scorecards and photos must be submitted to tournament officials. Officials will review photos against the scorecard, verify the math, convert the total to the appropriate measure if necessary. Participant and official will sign the scorecard. Signed score cards are FINAL.

15. Up to 3 fish may be submitted; highest aggregate weight wins the tournament. In the case of a tie, the tie breaker goes to the person with the largest fish. In the case of a tie for lunker, the tie breaker goes to the person with the next largest fish.

16. Payouts:

First Place - 50%
Second Place - 30%
Third Place - 10%
Lunker - 10%

These are general guidelines, amounts may be adjusted nominally to facilitate distribution of the purse.

TIGHT LINES AND SHARP HOOKS!

If you have any questions, let me know. =)

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:16 am

I don't mean to butt in as I probably won't be fishing in this one but I thought a parking pass was needed for this place "in season". If you guys are aware of this or have dealt with it, please excuse the intrusion. Just didn't want to see you get blindsided.

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:47 pm

No problem at all, Tom. I appreciate the heads up. I've never fished at this place before, but multiple people recommended it. So I guess I'll have to ask someone who knows better than me.

Thanks!

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:28 pm

Last-minute bump.

Looking to be a good turnout. =)

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:46 am

The Lake Winthrop tournament is in the books. We had 14 show up, two teams and 10 solo anglers. Some people struggled, and some people did pretty damn good.

Here are the winners:

1st Place: Zach DeLuca/Jack Stone - 11lb 13oz ($300)

2nd Place: Eric Levy - 9lb 2oz ($180)

3rd Place: Domenic Eno - 7lb 5oz ($60)

Lunker: Zach DeLuca/Jack Stone - 4lb 15oz ($60)

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:50 pm

Interesting that you guys allow teams for these tourneys. Seems like a bit of an advantage and cost savings for the teams.

Might be cool to have a team kayak tourney in the future that pairs everyone together and randomly selects the teams.

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Yes JJ, it's a huge advantage. Twice as much fishing time and the ability to cull from two bags. I'm surprised organizers or participants allowed this.

Regarding your team tournament idea, the only drawback is that you always need an even number of participants to show up. But it's a cool idea.

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Pretty good results, sounds like a fun time!

I have yet to fish there but I'm going to add it to my list since it's only one town over from me.

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Nice results! Glad this all worked out well!

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:49 am

It's definitely an advantage, but not a guaranteed win. Guys fishing solo win against teams all the time, you know.

But Joe is just trying out different formats this year before solidifying rules for next year. If I'm reading things correctly on Facebook, cartoppers will still be allowed, but no more teams. And only one guy per boat will be allowed.

So...no more advantage. They're not even necessarily faster than the kayaks. The guys in the Slayer Propels are faster than everyone!

My next kayak will be a Propel or a Jackson Big Rig. Leaning toward the latter.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 pm

I'll dismount from my high horse. In the end, it really doesn't matter what the rules are so long as everyone is aware of them before hand and they are fairly applied.

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:59 am

bloomagoo

I'll dismount from my high horse. In the end, it really doesn't matter what the rules are so long as everyone is aware of them before hand and they are fairly applied.

No high horse at all, sir. =)

Posted Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:30 am

Gotta try to get more members in the next tourney! Good job fellas!

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:21 pm

Ah yeah,I'm glad your turney went well.I would've liked to participate,but in the rules was listed no flyfishing.That was the only draw back.I like to fish all types to find what bites.I questioned it on facebook and the reason didn't really make sense to me,something about an unfair advantage,some people don't know how to fly fish.Oh well,Rules are rules,no biggie..Congrats to all the winners!!

Posted Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:04 pm

sandman62

Ah yeah,I'm glad your turney went well.I would've liked to participate,but in the rules was listed no flyfishing.That was the only draw back.I like to fish all types to find what bites.I questioned it on facebook and the reason didn't really make sense to me,something about an unfair advantage,some people don't know how to fly fish.Oh well,Rules are rules,no biggie..Congrats to all the winners!!

Yeah, I don't know about that rule. I don't see an unfair advantage myself, but it's not my trail, you know. Bloomagoo used to fish the MAFF kayak tournaments and fly-fished a few times. I never saw him killing it while we struggled. (No offense, of course. Haha.)

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links