I had the day off and I had to meet a friend to pick up my new Chronarch ci4 and cumara jig stick. he lives on the cape so, I hooked up the boat and made it a fishing day as well. Got my new gear and was off to test it out. Started out right at the ramp in some over hangs.... nothing. Moved out and tried jerkbaits and chatters..... no love, back to some more shoreline cover that always produces in summer..... not so much in spring I guess. I am half way around the pond and 0 bass to show. Not only that but now i am in direct contact with the wind at my back. It is pushing me into shore , making it difficult to pitch and stay out of the cover but this is where my luck changed. Come up to a nice , thick overhang with some depth on it and the wind blowing pretty good on it. I pitch in, lift it once and SLAM a good fish crushes the jig. I get her out, move off shore for a picture and head back to the same bush, pitch in again and it gets thumped again, this time the fish is even bigger. this wold be the pattern for a good 200 yard stretch. As long as the cover was in the wind and had some depth under it, it had multiple fish in it willing to eat. I caught 6 fish on 6 flips in 3 separate overhangs. A 4.1, a 5.2 then a 4.2 and a 4.3, then the next bush produced a 4.6 and a 3.12. I caught a couple more 3's and a few 1s and 2s before I ran out of cover in the wind. once the wind was not a factor, the overhangs were void of life.

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:24 am

Your a legend!

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:42 am

Awesome

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:01 pm

good work

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:51 pm

good work

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Rich...is there a bass in Massachusetts that you haven't caught? Nice trip.

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:04 pm

And all this time I thought that jigs were just an old gimmick hahaha Wink

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:09 pm

nice fish, jigs are no gimmick, you still using pork??

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 pm

ok so after i see you praising springtime jerkbaits, i start throwing them and catch dinks. you throw jigs and catch pigs. nice job.

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:26 pm

also, you really need to get a camera and mount haha

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks everyone. Always pork. never anything else.

Sam the weather turned so fast. My 1st 2 trips i got them all on jerkbaits , chatter baits and minus 1s. the following week it warmed up and the bass where in the shallows. The females are all up now sunning themselves and maturing their eggs. if you can get out in the next couple weeks the shallow bite should continue to be on fire... on 2 conditions, it doesnt get too warm and pushes the fish on beds or gets cold again and the fish back off and are back on the jerks and other reaction baits. Ideally it would actually coolof a bit and temps drop back into the upper 50sand low 60s. These high 60s and low 70s will have them on beds sooner then later, especially in the shallower ponds. Now is also a GREAT time to get them on slow rolled spinnerbaits over old and new weeds. A friend of mine beat his PB 2x in one day with a 6.8 and then a 6.12 as part of a 30 fish day on spinnerbaits earlier this week

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:13 pm

thanks for the details. i actually don't mind the jerkbait now. i've caught some good ones on them and gained confidence fishing dropoffs for suspending fish.

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:30 pm

stratos1966

Thanks everyone. Always pork. never anything else.

Sam the weather turned so fast. My 1st 2 trips i got them all on jerkbaits , chatter baits and minus 1s. the following week it warmed up and the bass where in the shallows. The females are all up now sunning themselves and maturing their eggs. if you can get out in the next couple weeks the shallow bite should continue to be on fire... on 2 conditions, it doesnt get too warm and pushes the fish on beds or gets cold again and the fish back off and are back on the jerks and other reaction baits. Ideally it would actually coolof a bit and temps drop back into the upper 50sand low 60s. These high 60s and low 70s will have them on beds sooner then later, especially in the shallower ponds. Now is also a GREAT time to get them on slow rolled spinnerbaits over old and new weeds. A friend of mine beat his PB 2x in one day with a 6.8 and then a 6.12 as part of a 30 fish day on spinnerbaits earlier this week

Get your wish on this one, going to cool down big time in the next week.

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 am

What a nice day! Last year I spent 90 % of my fishing with jerk baits of all kinds. I wanted to see if I could do as well w/o using plastics. I did! This year I am planning to use jigs as I have not really used them much and have no confidence in them yet. Rich, thanks for the knowlege you share!

MM

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:39 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links