"Get Hooked on Massachusetts"

Free Member Sign Up!
Already a Member? Login Here.
Add to Favorites

MA Fish Finder Forum Index
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 

Consumption Advisory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MA Fish Finder Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwo1124
Rainbow Trout Rank

Total Points: 96

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Consumption Advisory Reply with quote

I came across this during a Google search.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mass.gov/dph/fishadvisories&ved=0ahUKEwi2m8ekwLPTAhUB84MKHeWNDmgQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNEBtjmRru1i8_jLZC01x-b9ax1qSA&sig2=cqETcXltYLA_yld5bQSnFg

I find this pretty disheartening. Maybe it's just a liability issue from the state where they want to say" we warned you" in case anyone sues.

Any thoughts or feelings on this. I know they list different levels of precautions, most bodies of water the advisory seems to be avoid any fish consumption for 12 years or younger/pregnant or nursing. Also, avoid LMB.

It's sad though that we pay 30 for a license, to fish for fish that are dangerous to eat.[/url]
oldfisher
Largemouth Rank

Total Points: 661

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its called acid rain, blame everyone west of us.
sull155
Baitfish Rank

Total Points: 6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is something i've thought about a lot as i really like eating the fish i catch. I think there is a big element of the state saying "we warned you" for whatever reason. There are so many fishermen that eat fish from lakes and ponds on that list. Wachusett and Quabbin have advisories, that's our drinking water. Walk the shoreline any saturday in April at Wachusett and count how many fish are being kept. How many of those anglers are having health problems from eating Wachusett fish? I guarantee the answer is 0. Has anyone had health problems directly related to eating freshwater fish from Massachusetts lakes, ponds, or rivers?
ladyfisherman
Baitfish Rank

Total Points: 5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Consumption Reply with quote

I've been eating local water fish since I can chew including family and friends. None of us have gotten sick from it. By the way it's not consumed on a daily basis. But I do refuse to fish or eat from certain area's.
jwo1124
Rainbow Trout Rank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that LMB are mainly on advisory for every listed body of water. Anyone have any idea why this is so?

Do they become contaminated first, or easier than other fish?
stump
Largemouth Rank

Total Points: 573

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldfisher wrote:
its called acid rain, blame everyone west of us.

Laughing blame the west! lol I wouldn't eat anything I catch simply for the fact that I usually pull out trash everywhere I fish or see drainage pipes spilling into the water. No thx
jwo1124
Rainbow Trout Rank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this too. Between the trash, run off from yards and streets, disgusting shorelines covered in goose feces AND the drainage pipes that I see multiple of on several ponds I have fished; I am having second thoughts of evwr keeping a fish again, at least from ponds around here.

Maybe if I was fishing some natural pristine area with a quality watershed surrounding it, maybe I would feel comfortable eating the fish I caught.

My brother and I were fishing Horn Pond is Woburn, and he caught a decent pickerel. He hooked him deep with the spoon, and it was bleeding pretty good, so I decided to keep him out of respect for the fishes life, and I have read on line that they are actually pretty good table fare, just a bit boney.

But now after reading the advisory for DDT for that pond, even though it only lists LMB, I'm having serious reservations on cleaning that fish and cooking it.
dangermouse
Rainbow Trout Rank

Total Points: 61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwo1124 wrote:
I've noticed this too. Between the trash, run off from yards and streets, disgusting shorelines covered in goose feces AND the drainage pipes that I see multiple of on several ponds I have fished; I am having second thoughts of evwr keeping a fish again, at least from ponds around here.

Maybe if I was fishing some natural pristine area with a quality watershed surrounding it, maybe I would feel comfortable eating the fish I caught.

My brother and I were fishing Horn Pond is Woburn, and he caught a decent pickerel. He hooked him deep with the spoon, and it was bleeding pretty good, so I decided to keep him out of respect for the fishes life, and I have read on line that they are actually pretty good table fare, just a bit boney.

But now after reading the advisory for DDT for that pond, even though it only lists LMB, I'm having serious reservations on cleaning that fish and cooking it.

I wouldn't eat anything out of Horn Pond or any pond in MA.
kman
Striped Bass Rank

Total Points: 1598

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Woburn newspaper just had an article about dead sunfish all over Horn pond, but mostly the lagoon. Comments to the article had people saying they also saw dead Carp and Trout. State Biologist are claiming low oxygen levels. I am not buying it. The Bass dont seem to be there either like they once were. I would not eat the trout out of there, but I am sure its fairly safe to do so. I would never eat anything that is not stocked seasonal out of Horn.
jwo1124
Rainbow Trout Rank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually right. I forgot that. My brother and I saw dead sure fish at every spot we fished. Thought it might have been fish kill from the turnover of the pond.
pocketfisherman
Swordfish Rank

Total Points: 2977

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
A Woburn newspaper just had an article about dead sunfish all over Horn pond, but mostly the lagoon. Comments to the article had people saying they also saw dead Carp and Trout. State Biologist are claiming low oxygen levels. I am not buying it. The Bass dont seem to be there either like they once were. I would not eat the trout out of there, but I am sure its fairly safe to do so. I would never eat anything that is not stocked seasonal out of Horn.

Horn has gone through this a few times now, which is disturbing!
fishingreek
Largemouth Rank

Total Points: 911

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocketfisherman wrote:
kman wrote:

Ever since the water treatment facility open about 3-4 years ago Horn seems to be not as good as it was?
kman
Striped Bass Rank

Total Points: 1598

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishingreek wrote:
pocketfisherman wrote:
kman wrote:

Ever since the water treatment facility open about 3-4 years ago Horn seems to be not as good as it was?

Seems that way, certainly that area. The bubbles of death?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MA Fish Finder Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: