Any ideas for cheap DIY kayak modifications?

Posted Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:16 pm

PVC rod holders, Fish Finder, paddle holder, anchor trolley system, hanging gear bags on cockpit rim..... I did them all and a bunch more. If you want to know anything about any of them - PM me.

Posted Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:32 am

You should check out my kayak, I have pictures of it on my page, I made all of those modifications for under 50$. It all depends where you shop, I prefer Amazon.com, you can find some really cheap, good quality stuff on there. Most of the stuff comes with free shipping as well. Amazon is great because some stuff is 10$-15$ cheaper than it would be in the store. The bags and the stringer I had lying around, and the big net holder, I made out of an old sand spike for ocean fishing that I had lying around.

Posted Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:55 am

Ok, thanks for the info.

Posted Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Having had my share of kayaks, I'll just pass on some food for thought. Think about your NEEDS in detail BEFORE modifying anything regardless of how cool/popular the mod may seem. i.e Some mods are worthwhile, some just trendy.

IMHO, one of the greatest thing about a yak is it's simplicity and convenience in getting you out there. It's real easy to start bolting on all kinds of gadgets, lines and such that add weight, complexity and snagpoints.

I've seen my share of 60# kayaks turned into 120# Sport fisherman with good intents.
IMHO, if you need to add anything beyond a couple of rod holders and basic fshfinder, your defeating the purpose of having a yak. From my experience, if your rigged boat nears 100#, is slow to rig and /or a PITA to haul, you might as well put that $ into a 12-14' skiff.

All that said, I still keep 7 kayaks and appreciate them dearly for what they are.

Posted Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Good advice! I keep it as simple as I can.

Posted Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:06 am

don51

Good advice! I keep it as simple as I can.

Wish I could say that. Need to get back to the basics. Very Happy

Posted Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links