a saltwater rod to fish the Charles basin between Boston and Cambridge. I have a medium-heavy St. Croix Tirumph rod with a Abu Garcia Orra SX30 spinning reel 9 bearings. I was told it couldn't handle stripers and that saltwater rods are made so that the saltwater doesnt ruin it, that a freshwater rod would need to be rinsed.

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:59 am

No, and there are very few stripers in there. Try for bass instead.

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm catching a lot of bass, but I want to catch BIGGER bass. Any tips for catching bigger bass?

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Use a 1/2 to 1 oz jig w/ craw trailer or creature bait with a skirt! Make sure u have at least 50lb braid and pitch to docks and Heavy pads/weeds and fall downs. That will def land you a big bass!!!

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:45 pm

hmm, 50lbs test for largemouth or striper? 50 seems a bit much for largemouths. i have 20lbs test braid on it right now.

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:15 pm

For large mouth! When your in heavy cover You need at least 50lb braid to get them out of the thick pads/weeds. Give your 20lb braid a try and when you lose a monster cause he pulls you down into the weeds or thick pad stems you will understand what I'm saying.

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:34 pm

so getting tangled in weed and lillies causes more pull on the line? thus causing it to snap?

Posted Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:54 pm

bruinsbrawler17

so getting tangled in weed and lillies causes more pull on the line? thus causing it to snap?

Yes!

Posted Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:53 pm

agreed! jigs are the way to go!

the most versitile lure that catches big bass! i mean theres a ton of other veristile lures that can catch big bass! but the jig is number 1!

deffinatly worth using 50lbs braid! 50 may seem a bit much but its also very thin so its the size of 10lbs mono(correct me if im wrong)

i push the limits with my jig fishing! i use 10lbs braid! but im also using lighter jigs! not heavy ones like 1ounce!

i should start doing that! use heavier jigs and heaver line! instead of my finesse aproach with jigs!

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:06 am

50lbs braid! 50 may seem a bit much but its also very thin so its the size of 10lbs mono(correct me if im wrong) " I don't know how they measure it but I go by how much I can get on a spinning reel. for instance a reel that can hold 140 yds of 8 lb mono only holds 125 yds of 15lb braid. so that tells me 15 lb braid or 20 lb at the most is the same as 10 lb mono.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:15 am

50lb Power Pro braid has the diameter equivalence of 12lb mono!

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:24 am

I use 50# on my spinning rods too never have a problem

Posted Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:54 pm

If you Don't need at least 50# then you're throwing your jigs in the wrong areas Cool

Posted Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:34 pm

dont jigs require a special retrieval like frogs? I'm still working on how to fish a husky jerk and popper. i keep watching videos but i suck at it! i can do a frog pretty well!! but my fave to do is swimbaits that look like fish in distress. any good videos on how to fish such lures cuz i keep failing hard at the popper and husky jerk. 1 fish on each the first time i used them but nothing since!! and i was just doing my own thing when i caught them before trying to do it the proper way!! i'll be sure to get 50lb powerline next time as it's fall and pike!!!! and specifics leaders better than others? i dont want to loose any gnarly fish due to snapped lines!

Posted Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links