Had some decent fishing in July and August so far, caught most of these on ZOOM Horny Toads in black, dropshots with ZOOM Trickworms or smaller size Flukes, and texas-rigged ZOOM Brush Hogs weightless as well as Baby Brush Hogs with a pegged 3/16 steel weight.

~3.5lbs on a texas-rigged full size Candy Bug Brush Hog:

4.0lbs on the nose on a black ZOOM Horny Toad:

Same spot, 4.60lbs on the Zoom Horny Toad again:

4.55lbs on a weighted texas-rigged Baby Brush Hog in watermelon red flake:

Also been having issues with my Abu Garcia Veritas rods. First one broke on a ~2.5lb smallmouth out of the Deerfield River back in June:
(warrantied, took about a month to receive a new one)

Second one broke on a 1.5lb LMB in July:
(again took a month)
VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8mA66F-jI

I just got my 3rd rod last Thursday…and here is what happened on the first cast on the rod on Friday:
(took another month)
VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlK2TF6d2kI

Driving me insane. Abu has to step up their quality control, or maybe just put some friggin’ bubble wrap around the rod before you ship it in the tube to just crash around in there, as I’m pretty sure they’re being damaged in transit.

Have also had a few with really shitty guides/cracked epoxy. Not sure if I’ll buy another Abu Garcia rod after this, but they are sending me a 2-piece Veritas 2.0 (they offered to upgrade me to a Veracity, but they’re 1-piece only) so I’ll see how that one goes.
It’s crazy, finally spend decent money on a new rod (I know $99 is not a lot to some people, but it is to me), and I just keep getting burned.

My $25 Field and Stream 7’ MH spinning rod that I had for a backup has been my main rod this summer while waiting for my Abus to be warrantied…and honestly, for the price, this thing has been crazy good. Anyone looking for a decent budget rod should check these out, they’re surprisingly good.

However, can't beat the scenery lately

Tight lines everyone.

Last edited by ejoy on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 am

Nice fish. If you already had 2 rods break out of nowhere why would you buy a third one?

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

shawneramone

Nice fish. If you already had 2 rods break out of nowhere why would you buy a third one?

It was past the 90-day in store return policy...since it took so long to get replacements, so I have to go through the manufacturer now Evil or Very Mad

I would love to just toss them in the water and just get something else, but I sank $100 bucks into it, might as well get another warranty replacement rod instead of choking it up to sunk costs you know?

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:03 am

ejoy

shawneramone

It was past the 90-day in store return policy...since it took so long to get replacements, so I have to go through the manufacturer now Evil or Very Mad

I would love to just toss them in the water and just get something else, but I sank $100 bucks into it, might as well get another warranty replacement rod instead of choking it up to sunk costs you know?

my bad I was reading it wrong. I thought you bought another one

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:33 pm

try the skeet reese combo man. i bought it last year and have caught many fish on it, it is soo versatile. from last year till this post spawn i was using it as my creature/worm rod and i caught many good fish on it including a 5.6lber. now it is my drop shot rod.

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:15 pm

I bought 2 Veritas rods two years ago. One broke after the warranty and the other I still have. I switched to St. Croix rods and have had much better luck. I like the feel better as well and there is a good warranty. I slammed my door on one and broke the tip off. Other than the $20 it cost me to return through the mail, St. Croix returned it for free and I had it back in 2 weeks or so! Good luck either way man!

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:17 am

pocketfisherman

I slammed my door on one and broke the tip off. Other than the $20 it cost me to return through the mail, St. Croix returned it for free and I had it back in 2 weeks or so! Good luck either way man!

Oh wow, I just broke one of my St. Croix Rods (rolled window up with Rod sticking out). I need to get it fixed now.

I thought it was like $50-$75 to send it back for a replacement.

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:58 am

enogueira

try the skeet reese combo man. i bought it last year and have caught many fish on it, it is soo versatile. from last year till this post spawn i was using it as my creature/worm rod and i caught many good fish on it including a 5.6lber. now it is my drop shot rod.

I like the majority of other rods I have played with, but I absolutely REQUIRE a 2 piece rod; I backpack and hike out to remote spots frequently, and while I do have a seat pass through in my car, the two pieces just make it 100x easier to strap to the backpack and go.

I REALLY want a 13 Fishing Omen Black, but they're only a 1 piece Sad

pocketfisherman

I bought 2 Veritas rods two years ago. One broke after the warranty and the other I still have. I switched to St. Croix rods and have had much better luck. I like the feel better as well and there is a good warranty. I slammed my door on one and broke the tip off. Other than the $20 it cost me to return through the mail, St. Croix returned it for free and I had it back in 2 weeks or so! Good luck either way man!

I actually just checked....and St. Croix DOES make 2 piece rods!

Anyone want a brand new Veritas 2.0 with tags come mid-September? Sell it to you real cheap... Twisted Evil You can finance my new St. Croix!

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:02 am

I used to use Abu Garcia pretty exclusively, but since I got a St. Croix crankbait setup and an Okuma rod for swimbaits, I have decided Abu Garcia makes much better reels, and i paired a Orra SX and Revo Winch with the rods above.. and I couldnt be happier. The St. Croix can toss a crankbait a country mile.

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:11 pm

jjbagoose

pocketfisherman

I slammed my door on one and broke the tip off. Other than the $20 it cost me to return through the mail, St. Croix returned it for free and I had it back in 2 weeks or so! Good luck either way man!

Oh wow, I just broke one of my St. Croix Rods (rolled window up with Rod sticking out). I need to get it fixed now.

I thought it was like $50-$75 to send it back for a replacement.

I was still within the warranty time frame, so the replacement was free. The $20 (actually $35, but there iare instructions on the website on how to pay $20. You live and learn) was the postage I had to pay.

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:23 pm

dapar321

I used to use Abu Garcia pretty exclusively, but since I got a St. Croix crankbait setup and an Okuma rod for swimbaits, I have decided Abu Garcia makes much better reels, and i paired a Orra SX and Revo Winch with the rods above.. and I couldnt be happier. The St. Croix can toss a crankbait a country mile.

I throw Abu's and Lews on St. Croix rods. Couldn't agree more!

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 pm

ejoy, great looking fish and pics that you posted. what lakes/ponds have you been fishing? I will be going out early next week and will give the brush hogs a try. I have been fishing the A1 site in Westboro and Lake Nippenicket, getting better results at the A1 site. thanks, Dave.

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:02 pm

The Brush Hog bite has actually dried up for me the last few times out. Yesterday I was throwing them in the weeds, didn't get a single bite. Switched to a Senko on my spinning setup and 10" Power Worm in Tequila Sunrise with 3/8 oz weight on baitcaster and quickly caught fish on both. You just never know..

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:56 am

mcdonams

The Brush Hog bite has actually dried up for me the last few times out. Yesterday I was throwing them in the weeds, didn't get a single bite. Switched to a Senko on my spinning setup and 10" Power Worm in Tequila Sunrise with 3/8 oz weight on baitcaster and quickly caught fish on both. You just never know..

I have been using the strike king game hog that is almost same thing as the brush hog and I have noticed the same thing for past 2 weeks it has not produced much. I have also noticed the past week and a half the bite has been very slow on everything!! Ugh!!!

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:08 am

Last 2 times I've been out both of my first fish caught were over 3lbs. Everything on senkos. Tossed a jig a bit but no takers. Was real wiindy so couldn't get the jigs out very far. They just are not as aerodynamic as senkos haha.

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links