Hi
I have a Old Town Saranac 146 XT canoe that I usually use solo, so it is quite difficult sometimes to paddle with a lot of wind with a single blade paddle. In those conditions, I am jealous of kayakers that can go fast even in the wind.
Is it possible to use a double blade paddle on a canoe? If so, which length do you recommend?

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:20 am

You can indeed use a kayak paddle to move a canoe. Take a look at both 130mm & 140 mm kayak paddles. Lighter and longer is usually easier on your arms, shoulders and back.

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 am

Do you get more water inside the boat compared to single blade paddle?

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 pm

I just got a kayak this year and when I first went out I was slinging water everywhere. After awhile you get the mechanics down and very little water gets in or on the kayak at all.....

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:06 am

thorn168

You can indeed use a kayak paddle to move a canoe. Take a look at both 130mm & 140 mm kayak paddles. Lighter and longer is usually easier on your arms, shoulders and back.

do you mean 130-140cm in length or 130-140mm in diameter of the paddle tube?

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 am

130 -140 CM length.

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:35 am

i use a 240Cm paddle on my old town hunter(14ft) and it works great, you get the occasional drips of water off the paddle but nothing bad, and you can really get cooking too if needed.i bring a reg paddle god forbid i drop the kayak one or it brakes.

Also it breaks into 2 pieces so its easy to transport and adjust if needed

Posted Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:39 am

If you try it, you'll find that a double blade paddle is much more efficient for all but a very few solo padddlers. Simply put, your blade is in the water almost twice as much and each stroke is a correction/stearing stroke without having to J stroke/rudder a single blade. They really shine in the wind when solo canoeing can be most frustrating. Paddle length is generally a function of your height, seat height and boat width at your seat. That said, a 240cm paddle is about the smallest I would go for your use and a 250 or 260 cm may be better. If you just want to try it, you can buy a Cheap 8' ( about 245cm) aluminum an dplastic double blade for $30 at sports authority that works.
Drips of water in the boat will happen since your swinging your blade over the cockpit. It can be lessened by lowering your stroke to allow the water to drain off your high blade before it gets over the hull.
Drip rings and neoprene paddle cuffs help too. A towel or sponge on the deck is a good idea too,

All in all it's the way to go when fishing IMHO.

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links