I'm going to give drop shot fishing a try for smallmouth. I have 2/0 and 3/0 offset worm hooks, will that be ok? Or do I need drop shot hooks? Also curious what others use for bait? I have 5" senkos but have read to use 4"?

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:08 pm

When I dropshot I used to just use 1/0 ewg worm hooks with a Palomar knot and then passed back through the eyelet, make the worm face gap/barb up.

Switched to specific VMC dropshot hooks like them a lot better. So, they're not needed but they work good enough.

When I dropshot I like to used non-salted ZOOM Trick Worms. My favorite colors so far this season are Gooseberry and Pumpkin/chartreuse tail. The reason for the non-salted ones are that they float slightly in the water back end up and look KILLER on a dropshot rig. Hook it right through the head so it sticks straight out perpendicular to the line.

Let it hit the bottom and just jiggle it, it looks great in the water. You can slowly drag it along the bottom you'll be able to feel it with the weight, and periodically stop, let it sit, shake, and move on, etc.

I have dropshotted with senkos but they're all usually salted and sink down sometimes ending parallel to the line, but they work well just require some more action in the bait on your part.

Depending on how deep you're fishing and where fish are suspending, give anywhere from 8-18" of leader. Also you can probably used any weight but the slipshot style dropshot weights are killer.

Give it time and have patience, this is a great rig when you can locate fish.

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:10 pm

I drop shot with size 1 drop shot hooks.
I have using any style finesse worm. Bento baits are awesome as well as
roboworms.

I find this time of year, from shore, its the best way to catch bass.
I have also used regular bass hooks as well. You can hook up worms or even creature baits weedless and bob them thru the weeds.

Drop shotting is my fav. fishing technique for the hot days!

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 am

standout hooks are incredible for having the most realistic profile. they keep the bait up all the time. i think i use size 2. they're small and i nose hook the bait.

there are much better drop shot baits out there and they're buoyant and will stay perfectly horizontal which is what you want. roboworm is great.

6 lb. fluoro and a 5/16 or 3/8 oz. weight.

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Thank you everyone! I hope to give it a try one night after work this week. Now I just need to find the smallmouth!

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:02 pm

don't forget it's not just a vertical presentation like others have said. also, the bait moves way more than you'd think. wacky rigging a floating finesse worm works well too. especially on largemouth.

Posted Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:58 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links