Where is a good spot to get shiners when fishing the res? Also what are the best gates for lakers? Thinking about going tomorrow morning for the first time this year. I heard Gate 8 was good.

Also what are they hitting on? Big shiners off the bottom? Kastmasters? What size kastmasters are good for lakers?

Not looking to steal anyones spots, just curious as to which gates seem to be hot.

Thanks in advance!

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:41 pm

2 bad u weren't going wed instead iam heading wed b&a baitshop opens at 5 grab pike shiners if he has also some med if u want a smallie. Spots tough to say most spots require a walk.

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:51 pm

badlarry

2 bad u weren't going wed instead iam heading wed b&a baitshop opens at 5 grab pike shiners if he has also some med if u want a smallie. Spots tough to say most spots require a walk.

yea i know they require a decent walk. Ive fished there once before and didnt see any action, but it was last year in the late summer. The narrows are a good spot?

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:03 pm

What do you guys suggest for line? I think im gonna go to the store today and get some new line. Mainly fishing for trout.

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 am

what works for me: Main line 8-10 lb mono, I have also used successfully in the past Powerpro I would suggest the 4/15 or 6/20..........its not so critical this time of year, but in a month or so the distance of your cast will matter immensely, the narrows is a good area. If you want to fish it from the west side, its a helluva hike to get in there, I would suggest anywhere on the south end for a good place to start, I typically prefer the medium heavy shiners. kastmasters, little cleo, Fjord spoons in the 1/2 oz range seem to work best for me. I prefer any metal with a bluish tint, although most prefer the orange and gold. B&A bait and tackle is right there near the causeway at the southwest corner of the lake. Regarding the bait, I use a #2 hook on a 16"-18" fluro leader of #8 or #10. Sometimes, they love the live bait, but just as often we do just as well with dead bait, use a worm blower, pump em up, hook em through the skull and heave it as far as you can. good luck

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:26 am

Gate 8 has some deep holes where u can get lakers even in summer. A friend caught a 9lber in august off a sunfish(kiva).Perch are great if u can find a place to catch them. U can use big ones but most people use small(muskie being the exception) I am on vacay next wk let me know if u can go during weekday early am.Big lakers will eat almost any fish.

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:01 am

I use 10-15 power pro with a 8-12lbs floro leader!
I use metals 3/4-1 ounce!
Med-large shiners blown up! Dead or alive!

Get your self a map and look for the deep holes and drop offs!

Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:44 am

I'm not expert on lakers or the Chu but here's what I know/do:

20lb mono main line with a 2oz weight with a 2' 15lb fluoro leader tied to a #1 baitholder hook. I fish it right off the bottom. Use large shiners hooked through the mouth and throw them out as far as you can.

Like others said, dead minnows blown up with a worm blower, fished the same way as live ones, works well too.

I've heard that over by the old stone church off of route 110 is a decent spot for lakers with lots of shore access without a hike.

Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:59 pm

thanks everybody for the replies! and badlarry ill let you know if i can make it any days this week

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links