Hi everyone,

I just stumbled upon this community when searching for places to trout fish in mass. I'm hoping that you might have some tips for me. I usually do sight fishing in salt water for stripers (Cape Cod). I have limited experience with trout or freshwater fishing in general so I'll be doing more research beyond location as well.
I would like to find an area for a nice hike with a river or stream to go after some trout. I would prefer moving water (opposed to lakes/ponds) so I can try out my waders.
Somewhere between Boston and Springfield (or close to one of the two) would be ideal. Any suggestions for best time of year, fly type etc would also be much appreciated!

Posted Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Swift River below Quabbin has a decent fly fishing only area to try !!! Right off of rt 9 .

Posted Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:08 pm

Assabet river in Maynard, go to Concord Outfitters and ask around, they will give you tips and the location.

Posted Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:14 pm

You're going to want to wait until spring, the Assabet and Sudbury river get really shallow in alot of places around this time. Usually this shouldn't deter you, however there is a ton of crap at the bottom of the rivers. For example, had a nice little trout hooked while I was out on the sudbury river a couple weeks ago, and then the trout spat out my in line spinner and i got hooked on a giant rope. Ended up pulling 10ft of rope out of the river and bringing it to my local dump but thats just an example.

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:48 pm

If your usual haunts are the cape, allot of the bigger and better known rivers are going to be a LONG ride.
My advice contact the local chapter of Trout unlimited and attend a meeting You'll not only get some input on where to fish but on how to fish. (Just as important). Maybe even an invite or two to get some on water tutelage.
Beyond that, you can also check with MASS F&W, I believe they publish a list of waters where they stock trout .

I know you said you'd prefer moving water but I have to tell you some of the ( consistently) best trout fishing I've ever done was on many of the socked ponds on the canal end of the cape this time of year.

One thing I've learned in 30+ years of this is never drive by fish to find fish.
Good luck.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:57 am

X2 to what he said! Pond fishing trout is really enjoyable and you can test out your waders anyway by wading the shoreline! I've already gotten rainbows and a brookie this year, all from ponds. Happy hunting!

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:52 am

"never drive by fish to find fish" ... #1 quote of the year!

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links