Anyone have any info on fishing a timber field for bass? I found this timber field a couple miles from my house and caught a few crappie but no big bass only one 6". Are there any special techniques to timber fields?
I uploaded a picture of the timber field on my profile if you wanna see what the structure looks like.

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 am

holly hell, i was just looking for info about this.

i only have one pond with timber fields. its covered with pads in the summer. shallow. BIG BASS. i use frogs and pitch plastics to the open water pockets. if its no pads id pitch jigs to em

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:11 am

i want to fish a swimbait and wakebait in between them. at dusk cast a wake bait and watch a monster slam it. ahh something every angler dreams of. big mice. birds love these places to. all the holes in the dead trees make great nesting for water foul and song birds. ive seen this a baby bird falls out of the nest.

that happens on the water. DINNER BELL IS RINGING!!!!!! struggling baby bird on the water. hawg sees this. BAM

those roots and branches provided tons of habitat for game fish and bait fish. also have food for the prey fish, like freshwater shrimp all that other good stuff.

have you seen the spiders that live on ponds and lakes. MASSIVE. those trees will have the big bass spiders. and water snakes love these place.

its a buffet for big bass

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:33 am

ahh see i have actual trees. you have stumps. i fished places like that also, id pitch jigs to em. plastics. shallow cranks, spinnerbaits and topwaters. if theres a little depth change in between them even a foot or 2 thats a good spot.

pre spawn, april fish the drop offs. ive done very well with xcalibur squarebill cranks in april on the drop off edge to the timber field. the there wasnt any visible trees along this drop off but they were submerged. not as much. but there was some nice weed beds. drop off was from super shallow where the trees are to 8 feet and weedy.

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:30 am

Alright thanks For the info, the pond drops off fairly quickly right off the bank. Do you think ice fishing would be successful or no?

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:23 pm

hells yea. i ice fished my pond the first time last year and killed it.

first day i went out. i set up along my favorite group of logs. big logs 50 feet off shore. this is off a nice drop to 6-7 feet deep. then theres a flat. these logs come up to 5 feet deep. i always do good here open water. my shiners werent getting touched. i had some jiggin holes out 50 feet or so away from these logs in deeper water. 7-8 feet. thats where i got fish. mix bag of bass and panfish. bite died in this area.

so we went to the drop off near the forest. the field of dead timber. we were a good distance away from the timber flat and its drop off. we were ready to call it a day. then the flag goes up.

its running. my buddy wasnt paying attention so i set the hook, i yell to him its a biggon. yours if you want it.

first ice bass and biggest bass ever .fat 4.13 lbser

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Damn, you're making me excited now, thanks for the advice!
Good luck this year

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:55 pm

that was his first ever ice bass and his biggest bass ever.

I CANT WAIT!!!! im going to my pond this weekend.

Posted Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:28 am

do you know for sure that there are good bass in there? maybe ice fishing would confirm that then you can go back and try those different techniques.

Posted Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:28 am

take alook at an old map. like mine used to be a river. then they dammed the ponds in the early 1900s. so theres an old river channel. the woods flooded so theres tons of little holes.

this place also has random weed islands. in 8 feet of water there will be a random clump of surface weeds that rises to 2-4 feet deep with hard bottom.

ah im getting excited to fish this place

Posted Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:31 am

Your best bet to use topwater frog weedless one. Dont be afraid to fish right on timbers. Make sure that you cast it far away from timber. then reel frog toward timber.. most of time, when frog get away from timber, you should see big blow up. Smile

Or you can do my favorite lure: weightless fluke. just twitching and pause for 1 or 2 second then twitch it again. This method can do with senko if you want to use it. However, make sure you buried hook inside of plastic, not left point of hook out of lure. That's way, lure wont get stuck on timer but will able to buried hook into bass. The bite force will take care of it.

Last of all, weedless jigs. Jigs can be tricky to learn how to use on timber. I got it stuck most of time until I realize that I can felt difference between timber and bass's bite. My losses on jig is reduced big time.

Posted Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Jig and pig. Pitch to every single piece of wood and be ready to set the hook on every cast.

Posted Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links