Now that this thing you people have called "Winter" seems to be ending, are there any spots near Worcester that aren't iced? I have visited Ripple and although I looked like an idiot sliding around, I enjoyed it. I mostly have fished saltwater, but I am a tad far from the ocean. Are there any nice areas with shoreline access or skiff rentals you could recommend? I am not the best lake fisherman, on the account that California is a desert wasteland right now, but I'm eager to get my fix of fishing.

Much appreciated!

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 am

What kind of fish are you used to targeting and how long are you willing to drive?

There are about 100 great lakes all around Worcester and each one has it's pros/cons.

If you're into trout fishing MA has a very good stocking program. Check out Comet Pond or Singletary

Posted Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:11 am

I live in Leominster and have tried a few of the lakes and ponds around the area last year. There are a bunch of them. Ever think about kayak fishing?? It's a good time and you can get into a bunch of places that don't allow motor boats.... The list is pretty long if you are willing to travel a little bit. 20 mile radius covers a lot of water bodies....

Posted Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:30 am

fdw9652

I live in Leominster and have tried a few of the lakes and ponds around the area last year. There are a bunch of them. Ever think about kayak fishing?? It's a good time and you can get into a bunch of places that don't allow motor boats.... The list is pretty long if you are willing to travel a little bit. 20 mile radius covers a lot of water bodies....

Thanks for the advice! I would love to, but I do not own a kayak and do not have the space to store one if I did. I am very much looking for places that rent them, but so far I have only found one on quinsigamond. Probably the farthest I would be willing to go would be around a half hour drive. At least until I can get a break from work.

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:08 am

themasterg

What kind of fish are you used to targeting and how long are you willing to drive?

There are about 100 great lakes all around Worcester and each one has it's pros/cons.

If you're into trout fishing MA has a very good stocking program. Check out Comet Pond or Singletary

I have been mostly fishing saltwater in cali from piers for surf perch, mackerel or whatever may be biting and off of docks and boats for smelt, bass, or barracuda. I am not too picky :p I have done a bit of freshwater, and actually went for perch for a while in Institute Park and caught and released about a dozen in the 3 weeks before winter set in.

I went to comet when it was frozen, and it was a beautiful place. No luck fishing though.

TBH, whatever is biting is what I will go after, I am not too picky for now, as I just really want to get out there and fish!

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:11 am

imfromcawhatissnow

fdw9652

Thanks for the advice! I would love to, but I do not own a kayak and do not have the space to store one if I did. I am very much looking for places that rent them, but so far I have only found one on quinsigamond. Probably the farthest I would be willing to go would be around a half hour drive. At least until I can get a break from work.

You can rent in Newton and get out on the Charles river, they have at on of kayak rentals. It would be right on the cusp of your 30 minute drive time. It is right off the highway.

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:30 pm

themasterg

Singletary is am fairly close by. I think I will give that a go! Thank you for your advice!

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:47 am

A1-Stump Pond and Whitehall Reservoir are close.

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:24 am

fdw9652

A1-Stump Pond and Whitehall Reservoir are close.

I can't seem to find A-1 anywhere? Where is it located? Does it have shoreline access?

Posted Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 pm

A1-Stump Pond's boat ramp is on Mill Road off of Rte 30 on the West side of Westborough. It's a body of water created by the Assebet River Damn. There is some shore access, I have seen people fishing off the damn before.

Posted Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:44 pm

Medow pond(whitins pond on bing maps) in Northbridge has shore access along the road and back side along the road. fisherville pond in Grafton has some shore access.

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:31 pm

fishermandave41

Medow pond(whitins pond on bing maps) in Northbridge has shore access along the road and back side along the road. fisherville pond in Grafton has some shore access.

You reckon I'd be wasting my time? Or are those ponds somewhat productive?

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:52 pm

For shore fishing, there is dark brook reservoir and stoneville reservoir in Auburn. Both are within a mile of each other with shore access. no rentals, but can be productive. I fish stoneville pretty often and have pulled a few lunkers. my avatar is a fish from stoneville.

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:44 pm

imfromcawhatissnow

fdw9652

your kayak storage problem is the same has mine, I just bougth an inflatable from aquaglide.
will get you in the water and on the end you can just pack it on a small bag

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links