Hey guys, just had a couple of quick gear questions for anyone that may be able to answer them. I am going on a couple of fishing trips this late Spring and Summer to Texas, Florida, and California. Going to Clear Lake in Cali, Lake Fork in TX, and the big O; Okeechobee in FL. I've been purchasing some larger baits recently, mostly swimbaits... soft and hard body for these upcoming trips (and for around here too.) A variety of sizes, some 4 ounces, all the way up to my bigger 7-10 ounce baits, like the Slammer, Huddlestons, Mattlures, Jerry Ragos etc. I recently purchased a Lew's Super Duty Speed Spool, and iRod Genesis II Jr. Swimbait 7'11 for some of my smaller swimbaits (under 7 ounces.) Now I was wondering what you guys thought of my choices for throwing some of the bigger baits I have. I was thinking of going with either a Shimano Calcutta B series, or maybe a Lew's Team Pro Speed spool? Paired with either another (bigger) iRod Genesis II series, or a 7'11 Powell? Or maybe even a GLoomis TFO Tactical? Idk, I've read plenty of reviews on everything I've researched, just wondering if any of you guys have any "big" bait setups and what they are/how they perform?

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:16 pm

Wow! great trips you got planned. good luck.

Sorry I cant help with your gear question

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:17 pm

ya man same not sure about gear stuff all i could offer is too shoot an email over to oliver at bigbassdreams he's a super nice dude I'm sure he would help ya out i know he uses all okuma stuff but not sure what sizes

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:37 pm

The Calcutta 400b on a low down custom xh 8 footer. Check em out lowdowncustomrods.com

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 pm

Wow, sounds like some exciting fishing ahead for you! Keep us posted with those pics!

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 am

creaturefiend

ya man same not sure about gear stuff all i could offer is too shoot an email over to oliver at bigbassdreams he's a super nice dude I'm sure he would help ya out i know he uses all okuma stuff but not sure what sizes

Yea he is man! I've met him, real cool dude. Very down to earth. I didn't even think of shooting him a message, he follows me on Instagram I believe. Not really a fan of Okuma products, but we'll see what he says.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:13 pm

pocketfisherman

Wow, sounds like some exciting fishing ahead for you! Keep us posted with those pics!

Most definitely! Haha you can expect quite a few, the Clear Lake, CA trip is coming up soon. May 21st Very Happy

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 pm

you can also check out matt allen on tactical bassen. He is all about swimbaits and does the dobyns and shimano setups.

Another great place to get good info is swimbait nation. Its a board dedicated to big baits.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:17 pm

angryjohn

you can also check out matt allen on tactical bassen. He is all about swimbaits and does the dobyns and shimano setups.

Another great place to get good info is swimbait nation. Its a board dedicated to big baits.

Thanks man! I'll definitely check out Swimbait Nation, I've heard of Matt Allen. I'll have to YouTube him.

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:39 pm

If you plan on flying to these places make sure you get a rod case big enough that can fit a giant rod. Depending on what airline the baggage fees will bend you over. Last trip for me was $160 alone just for my rods.

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:48 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links