Well aware it will probably be a mad house but I plan on hitting Horn sunday to christen the new boat. I'm thinking of making it mostly a trout trip, but I'm seriously debating trying to get my first bass of the year.

For bass I plan on using some small jigs, perch and rainbow trout jerkbaits, possibly a helix buzz bait (read from multiple sources this winter they surprisingly work this early?) and a some lipless cranks. Can any one think of anything major I'm missing? Or have some horn tips. Going to be my first time out there.

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm always down there either on my boat or shore. (I always wear my gethooked logo shirt or hoodie)

Early spring I go to vibrax small spinner for trout or use power nuggets or salmon eggs.

For bass lipless cranks, jerkbaits, chatter baits. If nothing hits I'll sling jigs.

If ur on shore u can walk around the whole pond for spots even in the back smaller part of water.

From boat there's 2 coves the island the back beach the flagpole the damn next to the smaller beach and the causeway.

Enjoy

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Life got in the way sunday so myself and a buddy went out yesterday even with the less than stellar conditions.

Heavy wind out of the north west and cold temps. Forgot to write down the water temp but it was low.

Leaving the ramp on the north east corner we headed towards the island, wondering why the new fish finder was saying we were in 53 feet of water. Pulled into the cove behind the 'island' (with water levels where they are its two tree sticking out of the water) to get out of the wind, we needed to figure out what was up with the FF and have a smoke.

Looked for trout in there before heading back out to the main body of water. With conditions the way they were I figured bass would have retreated to deeper water. Because the way the wind was blowing, and how horn is layed out I figured bass would hold on the incline off the north- north west side of the island. Sure enough the classic fish arc were all over the fish finder between 15-35 feet in that area. The problem was I could not figure out what I should do to target them.

The techniques I had planned on using this spring were jerk baits and jigs. I had my spinning rod set up for jerk bait and my bait caster for jigs. I don't have enough time on my bait caster in the wind and would have been fighting backlashes the entire time. The deepest jerk bait I had only goes to 12 feet, and I needed to get deeper. Would have a deep diving crank have worked similarly? And would a "drop shot" have been a good technique here? Ive heard of it but have no experience with it.

Didn't spend as much time out as I wanted, lost feeling in my fingers after I had to go elbow deep to grab a rod I knocked over, so tieing new stuff on was difficult. Trying out nanofil and its a b**** to put knots in when I can feel it let alone with numb fingers.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Nothing wrong with your finder. Horn has some deep water. I do good there with jigs. I crank everywhere I go. The deepest bass I caught there was 15 ft or so.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 pm

shawneramone

Nothing wrong with your finder. Horn has some deep water. I do good there with jigs. I crank everywhere I go. The deepest bass I caught there was 15 ft or so.

It was demo mode, which is a pain in the ass to turn off.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links