I have two locations:

First location is at Boston esplanade? Is they will be ice or open water?

Secondly location are at dedham - charles river?

Just wanted to know if they will be freeze or not? Fish is not important or factor on here. I know main Charles river will be tad moving so, I'm guess that it will be not freeze over while dedham section will be freeze. Anyone can chime this one for me? thanks!

Posted Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Despite the tiny current, most of it freezes over. I am not completely sure about your two spots you mentioned, but if we finally get some consistently cold water, we will have ice on the Charles!

just wondering, what do you think you'll be fishing for there? I want to target some white cats through the ice there this winter.

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:36 am

I would stay off any moving water! Way too tricky and unpredictable! Never heard of anyone ice fishing the Charles, not sure if it is even allowed! Question

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:50 am

Teamtrout - you read my mind. White catfish was my target. Or probably get lucky with channel cats. Maybe we can get together for this adventure.

Don51 - Yeah, I'm normally will stay away. But I heard many people fish there and thats how they got ice striper out of it. I might get lucky but that would be winning the lottery. I have fished at Lake Ontario, I had ice break off from me. Lost three tipups but not worth for my life.

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Nice, it seems pretty easy to catch them through the ice. I mean, I caught tons in the summer - anything dead or meaty on the bottom. And a channel cat would be awesome! I'm pretty busy now, but we don't have ice now either. Hopefull I'll have some time when we finally get some ice. Just let me know when you're thinking of heading out.

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Last year the Lower End froze, and that was the first time in a couple of years. Shore fishing is pretty good this time of year, but there is a strong present of the white bucket brigade.

I fished the Charles in the Dedham area last March on some sketchy ice and got skunked. My minnows were dying quick so I think I was just in a very bad area. The places I wanted to fish were open water at that time.

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:38 pm

I'll will to add to this thread and say there is actually a crazy shad bite going on around the lower basin. The shad restoration program worked, I have never seen a shad before this year in Mass, and now its ridiculous .

Posted Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:59 pm

thelucky - really? shad at charles? wow. are they still there? or no. I might try catch few. even i dont know how to catch one! lol

Posted Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:45 pm

yeah, that's crazy! Shad is one of the species I'm still trying to cross off the list! Very Happy I'd love to make a trip for some sometime.

Posted Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:28 pm

deaffisherman

thelucky - really? shad at charles? wow. are they still there? or no. I might try catch few. even i dont know how to catch one! lol

I don't think they that smart of a fish. They are mostly getting snagged from people throwing spoons. They are big though.

Posted Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:42 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links