I just bought my first yak about a month ago and have been reading a lot of stuff online about how they can deform over time. Seems to be a complete 50/50 split on how much attention one should give to preventing this from happening. I drive an old Saturn that has no roof rack to speak of, so I purchased an inflatable one from BassPro that works fantastic. However, the yak must ride upside down for it to remain stable while driving. Is this going to kill my yak if I use it all summer? Have I already screwed myself by leaving it on the car for two days and a night (rather than drag it up the stairs in my apartment and then back down the next day)? Any advice or personal experiences you guys could offer me would be great. If it matters, it's a 10 footer and fairly wide (Ascend FS10). This was a rather large investment for me, and I want to take as good a care of it as I can, but I also don't wanna to go overboard financially trying to protect it for something I might notice one day 5 years down the road (by then hopefully I can afford a Jackson Kilroy).

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:07 pm

I would be more worried about it being stolen off the top of the car.

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Well, they'd have to break into the car itself to get at the Kryptonite lock I have attaching the yak to the roof rack. Then either cut the lock with an angle grinder or cut the yak itself to free it. Then they'd have to dismantle the roof rack as well, all while my alarm is going off.

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:14 pm

With the cool weather that we have right now I wouldn't worry too much. If you are leaving it out in the summer exposed to the hot sun all day then that could create problems.

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:23 pm

don51

With the cool weather that we have right now I wouldn't worry too much. If you are leaving it out in the summer exposed to the hot sun all day then that could create problems.

i totally agree with don51 here, ESPECIALLY the fs10. i bought one back in march this year but returned it after seeing how thin the plastic was. i even took it out once to see how it handled and i was honestly scared to be in that yak so i returned it, saved more money and bought a ride 115 instead. but to answer your question, when you leave it for days on the roof rack, loose the straps a bit overnight just so you dont put too much stress when its not necessary.

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 am

i bought one back in march this year but returned it after seeing how thin the plastic was. i even took it out once to see how it handled and i was honestly scared to be in that yak so i returned it, saved more money and bought a ride 115 instead.

No offense, but that seems crazy. A sit on will always seem thicker than a sit in because it's basically just a hull that you sit on top of rather than inside of. Compared to the Old Town Vapor 10 angler and all the other sit-in yaks I tried in that price range the FS10 is like a tank, haha. The only one I felt was noticeably stronger structurally speaking was the Pungo line. Either way, I'm happy as a pig in s*** with mine. Steers straight, handles chop pretty good and is super comfortable to fish from with plenty of storage room (plus it's light enough for me to carry from car to water by myself, HUGE!) Very Happy

I guess what I'm getting at in this thread is, how sensitive are yaks generally to hull deformation. I don't beat the heck out of it, but I don't have it suspended from the ceiling with perfectly balanced weight and an entire garage to dedicate to cleaning it either.

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:50 am

walleyefanatic

i bought one back in march this year but returned it after seeing how thin the plastic was. i even took it out once to see how it handled and i was honestly scared to be in that yak so i returned it, saved more money and bought a ride 115 instead.

No offense, but that seems crazy. A sit on will always seem thicker than a sit in because it's basically just a hull that you sit on top of rather than inside of. Compared to the Old Town Vapor 10 angler and all the other sit-in yaks I tried in that price range the FS10 is like a tank, haha. The only one I felt was noticeably stronger structurally speaking was the Pungo line. Either way, I'm happy as a pig in s*** with mine. Steers straight, handles chop pretty good and is super comfortable to fish from with plenty of storage room (plus it's light enough for me to carry from car to water by myself, HUGE!) Very Happy

I guess what I'm getting at in this thread is, how sensitive are yaks generally to hull deformation. I don't beat the heck out of it, but I don't have it suspended from the ceiling with perfectly balanced weight and an entire garage to dedicate to cleaning it either.

none taken bro, maybe i just feel safer on a sit on top. but hey, as long as you are happy as a pig in s*** thats what matters hahaha.
but as to the deformation, i just suggest you to loosen the straps when you leave it for long periods of time on your car

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:47 pm

Hahaha, I love that saying . . . yeah, I think some of the advice I was reading and receiving was a little hypochondriac in nature. I think I would enjoy fishing from a sit-on more, but considering my current living situation and vehicle and budget sit-ins really suited me better. The yak of my dreams is a Jackson Kilroy, if I ever manage to own one of those badboys I'll treat it like a newborn.

Thanks for the advice guys, as usual this board is invaluable for a bumbling angler.

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:08 pm

I owned a D10 and fished if for two years before selling it to a friend. No issues with the plastic on that puppy. I do agree that storing it on your car is not the best, the heat will warp it and the constant exposure to UV will deteriorate the plastic.

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 pm

walleyefanatic

Hahaha, I love that saying . . . yeah, I think some of the advice I was reading and receiving was a little hypochondriac in nature. I think I would enjoy fishing from a sit-on more, but considering my current living situation and vehicle and budget sit-ins really suited me better. The yak of my dreams is a Jackson Kilroy, if I ever manage to own one of those badboys I'll treat it like a newborn.

Thanks for the advice guys, as usual this board is invaluable for a bumbling angler.

bro i drive a honda civic and my yak weights 75lbs. after doing much research on homemade loaders, i found this thing made out of suction cups and PVC (which i wrote a thread about it) and now i can load and unload my yak with sooo much ease.

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Have a Cobra Fish-N-Dive that I left strapped to Yakima J-feet on top of my Civic on a hot day a few years ago. Completely forgot about it, and it warped on the bottom where the straps were. Called Cobra, and they suggested putting it out in the sun upside down on a hot day with black trash bags taped to warped areas. The sun and heat helped the plastic's "memory" come back a bit. It never tracked the same, though, and has since made the trip out to my in-laws' lake-house as a semi-retirement. If your yak is warped, try the trash bags. It may help.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 pm

my suggestion would be to contact the mfg to find out what the kayak's tolerances are

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:56 am

i also have an Ascend Kayak,i load mine on the car upside down also(that is what manufacturer says to do) and leave it on for days and days,on hot days i loosen the tie down straps when im not going anywhere and just tighten them b4 i leave the house,i've had the Ascend for 4 years and no deformation yet.i used to have an Old Town and every time i strapped that down it would deform but would eventually pop back into shape.

Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:40 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links