Three day Memorial Day Weekend is almost here. Wanted to do a lot of fishing this weekend. Weather forecast says all three days are going to be nice, but winds are supposed to be between 5 and 15 mph on all three days.
What wind speed typically makes you look for something else to do?? I have been out fishing and have the wind pick up, forcing me to find protected coves, but there always seems to be that wind-in-the-face grind getting back to the launch area.
I'm trying to associate a forecasted wind speed with unfavorable conditions so I can adjust my planning to bodies of water that have protected coves.
Thoughts, experiences?? Let me know.... Thanks!!

Posted Fri May 22, 2015 6:03 am

That's the biggest downside of yak fishing! You are at the mercy of the wind. I usually pick my pond based on wind direction. I usually will paddle out into the wind and work my way back with the wind behind me. A swirling wind will do that plan in though. When I see whitecaps then it is time to do something else! Laughing

Posted Fri May 22, 2015 11:10 am

don51

That's the biggest downside of yak fishing! You are at the mercy of the wind. I usually pick my pond based on wind direction. I usually will paddle out into the wind and work my way back with the wind behind me. A swirling wind will do that plan in though. When I see whitecaps then it is time to do something else! Laughing

Do yourselves a favor get a stick anchor. Quick and easy to deploy and you would be surprised how well it will hold you in the wind. I bought one from yakgear 6' I usually deploy my regular anchor on the trolley in the front and then stick anchor right next to me[list=][/list]

Posted Fri May 22, 2015 2:09 pm

I have an anchor trolley, anchor and stick anchor that I can use. I made the "parking pole" out of 3/4 in. metal conduit. Cut the end at a 60 degree slant and plugged the end with JB Weld. Put a PVC cap on the other end and and put a tie-off clip about 1 foot down from the top. It's 8 feet long and works like a miracle. My problem is not staying stationary when the wind picks up, it's paddling through waves when the come up over the bow of the kayak. Guess that's why I want to associate a wave size with a forecasted wind speed, so I can make an educated decision to go out or go shopping at Bass Pro.....

Posted Fri May 22, 2015 4:06 pm

The anchor thing doesn't work for me! Too many hang ups and too many weeds. I just float around and deal with the wind the best I can. Can be quite frustrating at times! Rolling Eyes

Posted Fri May 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Make a parking pole Don.... mine cost me a whopping $14 to make and it's easy to deploy and easier to pull up when it's time to move....I stick it through the ring on my anchor trolley, or tether to the trolley with a piece of rope clipped to the ring...... I'm really glad I made it. Fits in the right paddle holder on my Ascend FS10 and it out of the way when not it use.

Posted Fri May 22, 2015 7:44 pm

I usually don't go if its 20 mph gusts or higher but I've been on the water when wind increased beyond that and its just not fun. I try to check wind direction before going out and like Don said paddle into the wind to start my day then have it at my back coming in.I have an anchor trolley rigged and it works great but I've never tried it with a pole,if anyone wants to post a puc of there set up it would be appreciated.

Posted Sat May 23, 2015 7:53 am

went out one tine when the wind picked up. I was on the far side. decided to head back. got out 1/2 way across and wind really kicked up spun me around. tried like hell to paddle to shore. waves that were coming over the bow were now coming over the side. correct the spin and then the wind shifts the other way. finally made it to shore and hugged the shore in 2 FOW the rest of the way.
don't go out there unless wind prediction in under 10 MPH. I now hit the smaller ponds on breezy days

Posted Sat May 23, 2015 6:26 pm

I got caught out on the water when the winds picked up. I am not too fond of that situation. Nose into the waves is the only way to deal with it and sometimes that will make your egress paddle a lot longer when you are hugging the shoreline for protection from the wind. My Ascend FS10 actually draws the same 5-6 inches of water as my Future Beach but the front deck and sides sat higher out of the water. The ass end of the Ascend sits pretty damn low. I have taken a little water in the recessed areas in the stern before, but nothing serious.

Posted Sat May 23, 2015 6:47 pm

a cheap pole you can use is a 15 foot telescoping golf ball retriever. just take the end off it. not that strong(aluminum) but I use it up to 8-10 feet. you can get them at walmart $12.95.

Posted Sat May 23, 2015 8:32 pm

fdw9652

I got caught out on the water when the winds picked up. I am not too fond of that situation. Nose into the waves is the only way to deal with it and sometimes that will make your egress paddle a lot longer when you are hugging the shoreline for protection from the wind.

That was the problem.. I couldn.t get the bow or stern to the wind Wind was originally to my back blowing me in the direction that I wanted to go but then shifted directions

Posted Sat May 23, 2015 9:09 pm

As others have said, you really need to be mindful of the weather forecast and choose your water accordingly. I've been in some pretty scary situations myself both in fresh and salt. Rule #1 - always wear your PFD.

Wind always seems to be a factor when I'm out in the yak. I carry an anchor for times when I need to be stationary, but more often I use a drift sock to slow down my drift. Just paddle to the windward side, drop the sock and let the wind blow you slowly across the pond. Paddle and repeat. you can cover a lot of water that way. The only bear is paddling back to the windward side to start a new drift. Again, choose your water wisely.

Posted Sun May 24, 2015 6:19 am

Best way to deal with the wind in a kayak. Get a Hobie. Wink

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Hobies are awesome kayaks. Maybe someday..... I was unaware that Hobies were impervious to the wind.... Rolling Eyes

Posted Wed May 27, 2015 7:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links