My first post was about my trailer dilemma. So, if trailer doesn't work for me. Thinking about selling crawdad & getting a kayak.

Anyone with advice about fishing kayaks & roof racks please help?

Fish small local ponds & lakes & I know I want a sit-on kayak but from there don't really know what else I'm gonna need?

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:18 pm

What about a decent canoe? I have been looking at Kayaks for a long time now and canoes seem to be better suited to fishing.

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:27 pm

I went through the same ordeal. I went with a kayak. Easier to paddle with only one person, sit on ones have all the storage room you can ask for. Easier to accessorize, draw very little water and they are a whole lot of fun!! I have a Nissan Frontier pick-up truck and I just throw my kayak in the back and away I go. It's got a 6 ft bed, add another 2 ft with the tailgate down, so I only have about 2 ft sticking out. I am glad I went kayak!!

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:37 pm

thorn168

What about a decent canoe? I have been looking at Kayaks for a long time now and canoes seem to be better suited to fishing.

Looked at a canoe before I bought my crawdad.
They can be very tippy & hard to maneuver by yourself.

My son is leaving for college in sept, so I'll be fishing solo most of the time.

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:25 pm

My husband and I have a 14' Jon boat with trolling motor we've carried to water for 3 years. Heavy as heck, with 2 battery's and all the gear. This year we invested in Kayak's. My husbands is a Ascend 12' sit in Kayak full package was almost $800 mine much less $200 (on sale) Perception sport 12'.. I find mine much lighter and easier to handle.. his seat is better but I don't have any back issues anyways so I can be in mine for 6 hrs no problem, mine has back support. I would go with Kayak due to the ease of rowing and ease of getting into small areas.. I can fit full tackle bags on mine with 2 rod holders. We have a Tundra with 8' bed so it's really just a toss and go..just my 2 cents.

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:31 pm

I think the best bang for the buck Sit On Top Fishing Kayak is the Wilderness Systems Ride 115.

If you don't mind getting a slightly older model you can get an even better deal. I've seen good deals for the Ride on ebay and at local retailers too.

A bunch of MAFF guys have the Ride and love it.

There are cheaper options like the perception and ascend that are great. Then there are higher price models too especially if you are interested in pedals (Hobie, Native Slayer Propel).

For Transport I have a Thule Roof Rack and I put may SOT kayak upside down right on the rack. Then ratchet it down. Works fine. For long trips I use the front and back tie downs.

Kayak's are great and make it easy to get on and off of any body of water. That being said it takes a ton of man power to get around and can be inconvenient at times. Good exercise though Smile

Good luck.

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:31 pm

jjbagoose

I think the best bang for the buck Sit On Top Fishing Kayak is the Wilderness Systems Ride 115.

If you don't mind getting a slightly older model you can get an even better deal. I've seen good deals for the Ride on ebay and at local retailers too.

A bunch of MAFF guys have the Ride and love it.

There are cheaper options like the perception and ascend that are great. Then there are higher price models too especially if you are interested in pedals (Hobie, Native Slayer Propel).

For Transport I have a Thule Roof Rack and I put may SOT kayak upside down right on the rack. Then ratchet it down. Works fine. For long trips I use the front and back tie downs.

Kayak's are great and make it easy to get on and off of any body of water. That being said it takes a ton of man power to get around and can be inconvenient at times. Good exercise though Smile

Good luck.

same here, i have the ride 115 and i love it. you can stand up with ease and fish. i got a thule used on CL for 35 bucks and i just use foam blocks from BPS and tie it. i dont even put it upside down.

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks guys, good stuff!
Yeah, I'll miss my crawdad if a kayak is what I do.
But, being able to get to some smaller ponds around my neighborhood is very appealing.

What about fish finders does anyone have em on their yak?

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 pm

fishingreek

Thanks guys, good stuff!
Yeah, I'll miss my crawdad if a kayak is what I do.
But, being able to get to some smaller ponds around my neighborhood is very appealing.

What about fish finders does anyone have em on their yak?

yup... elite 4 HDI. if you have extra money go for the 5 HDI or even the raymarine dragonfly

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 pm

If you sell the cradad how much are you looking to get?

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:23 am

kizel13

If you sell the cradad how much are you looking to get?

Not sure yet?
I'll post here first on maff.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:50 pm

Say it ain't so greek!

Keep it if you have storage until you figure the trailer situation out.

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:00 pm

samf

Say it ain't so greek!

Keep it if you have storage until you figure the trailer situation out.

Haha!
Don't worry, not gonna make any hastey decisions.
Trailer is the way I wanna go, but we'll see?

Posted Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Good news, I found a trailer hitch to fit my new car without having to do any mods to vehicle. It just bolts on & wires just plug in.

Bad news is I still gonna sell my crawdad but, not til maybe October?
So if anyone is interested, pm me & I'll put you at the top of the list.

Good news, I'll be up grading to maybe a 14' jon boat!! Laughing

Thanks for the input guys!!

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:18 pm

You should definitely call up beaver fever.

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links