I may end up selling my kayak:

Last year I found a rack system for my Infiniti and it worked OK, but looked totally stupid. Ordered a new car (be here in 6-8 weeks Wink) and kayak rigging is not an option.

Mother in law lives with us so her Subaru maybe can be used, but who knows. We shall see.

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:33 pm

lol, thats funny... "it looked stupid".. who cares man.

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:41 pm

enogueira

I guess I do.

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 pm

grayrider16

I may end up selling my kayak:

Last year I found a rack system for my Infiniti and it worked OK, but looked totally stupid. Ordered a new car (be here in 6-8 weeks Wink) and kayak rigging is not an option.

Mother in law lives with us so her Subaru maybe can be used, but who knows. We shall see.

gotta be a way

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:58 am

Go to Lowes or someplace and buy a small trailer to tote your kayak on. A low profile trailer hitch won't look stupid on your car and you won't have to give up your kayak.

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:01 pm

duck tape!

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:08 pm

stump

duck tape!

Gorilla tape!!!

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Whatever works I say! I've seen some funky-ass contraptions that served the purpose well!

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 am

fdw9652

Go to Lowes or someplace and buy a small trailer to tote your kayak on. A low profile trailer hitch won't look stupid on your car and you won't have to give up your kayak.

x2 on the trailer, You can buy a basic trailer for less than $300 at Harbor freight. Hitch will run you another $150 or so. Trailers have advantages over roof racks anyway. No heavy/high lifting. You can store the yak right on the trailer, plenty of room for other gear on the trailer and no overhead lifting and complicated tied downs. As a side benefit, the trailer will fit any car you buy.

That said, sounds like you've already decided your done. Life's full of choices...

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Dude, don't sell your kayak... I put a 2x6 foot, half inch yoga mat on my car, and I put a 13' kayak on top. I balance it in the center...

Are you getting a really high-end sports car or something?

Yes, I've scratched my car... I'll probably buy some cheap racks, but there's no way I'm putting a car or the appearance of my car ahead of fishing.

enogueira will tell you about my setup. He busts my balls a when we fish. I have a Ford Fusion, the *luxury* model... Any standard rig system I bought would have cost as much as a second yak...

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:40 pm

enogueira

I agree, my wife to the suv with the kids down the cape for a few days and left me with the commute car with no racks! $30 and 1 hour later I was on the lake!

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:30 pm

live4fish

Dude, don't sell your kayak... I put a 2x6 foot, half inch yoga mat on my car, and I put a 13' kayak on top. I balance it in the center...

Are you getting a really high-end sports car or something?

Yes, I've scratched my car... I'll probably buy some cheap racks, but there's no way I'm putting a car or the appearance of my car ahead of fishing.

enogueira will tell you about my setup. He busts my balls a when we fish. I have a Ford Fusion, the *luxury* model... Any standard rig system I bought would have cost as much as a second yak...

Sean wish I would have read this first. My wife is a yoga teacher and we have mats everywhere! I could have save $30. Great idea

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Stump: I should add a picture...I'm beating my car up a bit, but it's worth it...lol. And Stump, I've seen your posts and profiles. I fished all your favorite spots as a teenager in Franklin. I should PM you and hit Green's, Beaver, Box, etc, ...

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:13 am

I had a Jeep Wrangler and it looked pretty stupid with a 12' Pescador on it. Traded that in for a 2014 Silverado for the wife, took her '04 Trailblazer and made that my week ender and all around fishing/camping truck. I had J type racks for the yak but those were a pain in the ass to load and unload. Went with $20 foam blocks and use an old bath mat to slide it up and onto the blocks, slicker than snot on a door knob. Yoga mat would work too I guess but I'd probably just end up licking it all day. Razz

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:08 am

I drive a 99 Ford Taurus(hopefully be driving it another 10+ years), I use a stripped down ski rack I found in the trash with some swim noodles slid over it, works great and I couldn't give a rats ass what it looks like as long as it gets me to the Pond!

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:40 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links