I am thinking about buying a fishing kayak but I have some concerns.
I have a very bad back 3 broken disks and my PT thought it might be a good idea to try a yac in moderation. I don't know a lot about them.

I am looking for something to do some fishing out of small ponds or rivers.

Any info on them would be much appreciated like,make,size, sit on,sit in, comfort you know everything.

Also most important I am not looking to break the bank on one.
Thanks

Posted Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:59 pm

If you have a "very" bad back kayaking may not be the way to go! You are sitting very low and in an unorthodox position. It is not an easy entry an exit if your back is bothering you. Believe me I know. I would try it before I made an investment into it!

Posted Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:08 pm

I agree, if you have a bad back dont get a kayak.

Posted Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:42 am

I agree with you on trying one. I look at this way if I can work I can
fish just looking for info on kayaks. I think I understand where you are coming from.
Thanks for thee input.

Posted Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:42 am

read my post as well Wink
http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/ascend-fs10-kayak-t11445.html

If you have some $ I would look at kayaks where the seat sits high. My drream Kayak would be the Kilroy. Watch the video

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/2013-kilroy/

Posted Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:32 am

I read your post I am surprised with BP but then again I am not.
The Kilroy rig looks awesome but $$$ wise way over my head.

Its funny I have been told that kayaks are much easier than a canoe
and a lot more stable.
Kind a of bummed out to hear it would be harder on my back.
I am still open for suggestions.
thanks guys

Posted Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:55 pm

You will want a light kayak with a comfortable seating position. Look at the BassPro Ascend D10. It's a nice light sit in yak with a raised lawn chair type seat. The Kilroy (jackson) is a nice boat but it is HEAVY and will ruin your back lifting it onto your vehicle.

Posted Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:15 am

I have 2 Wavewalks and I would sell one of them. I rigged it to fish. rod holders, etc... Google them...

Posted Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:51 am

do you have pics of yours you can e-mail

Posted Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Posted Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:25 pm

flymaster1

I am thinking about buying a fishing kayak but I have some concerns.
I have a very bad back 3 broken disks and my PT thought it might be a good idea to try a yac in moderation. I don't know a lot about them.

I am looking for something to do some fishing out of small ponds or rivers.

Any info on them would be much appreciated like,make,size, sit on,sit in, comfort you know everything.

Also most important I am not looking to break the bank on one.
Thanks

I bought a Malibu Mini X. This is the best thing I have ever bought! Got id on Craigslist with a awesome seat and paddles for $400.00. It was like brand new. I have a Chevy Traverse and with the seats down I can fit it in and close the gate. Don't have a picture of it but I can move it no problem. ( I also have 2 Ruptured disks from ten years ago). I carry a lot of gear but make 3 or 4 trips from my car.

Posted Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:59 pm

I checked it out it doesn't look like something that would be for me.
thanks anyway I will keep looking

Posted Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:06 am

I have a bad back and a torn rotator cuff. I can handle this setup by myself. not a kayak but a nice alternative. and very comfortable with the boat seats.

Posted Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:21 pm

I have an Ascend FS10 Kayak. from bass pro shops,the seat is extremely comfortable and adjustable,it is a sit in kayak but has a huge cockpit so swinging your legs in n out is easy and there's plenty of room to move your legs around.My back isn't horrible but it ain't good(like anyone 40+ yrs old) and I plan getting out n stretching every couple hours during every yak trip.

Posted Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 am

Consider a native ultimate. It's very light by yak standards. ( Just over 50#) . It somewhat pioneered the raised seat option and lets you sit with your feet lower than in most yaks. Of all the yaks I own/have owned (read over a dozen) the Ultimate is the most comfortable I've found.

Posted Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:29 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links