Thinking of getting my first kayak this yr. Obviously a fishing kayak. I've seen most people prefer sit on tops. Seeing as I may want to stand I figure this would be way to go.I hear the 10fts can be like rowing a tub. Any advice would be welcome. I can go up to 12ft.

Posted Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Check out the Canoe and Kayak Forum. That should make your head spin! Laughing

Posted Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Sit on, Sit in....all depends on what you want. Sit on kayaks are great, tons of storage, stable, can stand up and fish... Sit in kayaks are great too. All depends on what you want. I have a sit in - love it. I bought my first kayak last year, this year I am upgrading. Getting an Ascend FS10. Some people think a 10 footer is too short, I like it. There are light weight, fit in the back of my pick up, are easy to paddle. I can carry all the stuff I want in a sit in too. My biggest preference for a sit in is I stay dry. I was fishing last year, late in the season, November something or other, at Lake Wampanoag. I was way back in a protected cove, never really felt the wind pick up. When I exited the cove, the waves in the main lake were kicking up pretty good. Not like the "Perfect Storm" waves or anything, but big enough. My kayak paddled easily through the waves, but they were breaking over the bow and coming about 1/4 of the way back to the cockpit before rolling down the sides. All I know, is if I was in a Sit On kayak, I would have been getting wet....and wet is something I don't want to do in late November. I don't want to have to buy waders and all that either to stay dry.... My kayak draws about 5 inches of water and I weigh almost 200 lbs. I built a rod holder out of PVC pipes that would hold six rods, more than I ever carried or used. Weigh the options, pros and cons for 10's and 12's or longer, sit ins and sit ons.... then make the call - they are both great and get you to places you can't get in a big boat....big fish will take you for a ride, wind will move you all over - but one thing I do know without a doubt -kayak fishing is a whole lot of fun!!!

Posted Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:52 pm

i agree with Don. there are plenty of the same threads on the kayak and canoe forum. it all depends on budget and preference. some people will say sit on, like me, others will say sit in like a few people. Fishing kayaks are considered to be sit on.

check the following brand- wilderness systems- ride, old town predator MX, feel free lure, those are less than 1500 bucks and amazing fishing machines.

Posted Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 am

I've been kayak fishing for 6 years and I upgraded to the FS10 3 years ago and I love it.Ive been on Winnie n Squam in N.H. many times and its handled some pretty big chop no problem.It has lots of room,I can take 6 or more rods,all my gear,fish finder, lunch n drinks and even when I was at my heaviest last spring 220 pounds its never felt tippy or uncontrollable.1 of the my favorite features of the FS10 is the seat its very comfortable,wide and easily adjustable while in it.Sit In or Sit On is up to you,I personally go with the Sit In all the way,gives me a sense of protection, I added a homade spray skirt so I'm always dry and its very stable.I'm 44 years old so the not being able to stand up thing doesn't bother me at all, I've stood up plenty in my life,lol.Lastly no matter what you buy kayak fishing is an amazing time,good luck and enjoy.

Posted Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:59 am

The feel fre lure has caught my eye.the reason I was thinking sit on is my back gets stiff on long car rides and figure sit on I can stand n strecth it out. Thanks for the advice.

Posted Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:12 pm

they all say that the feel free lure is just amazing.

Posted Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:14 pm

badlarry

The feel fre lure has caught my eye.the reason I was thinking sit on is my back gets stiff on long car rides and figure sit on I can stand n strecth it out. Thanks for the advice.

I checked out the feel free at the fishing expo this year. Looked really nice. Had some cool features like being able to take out the electronics if you have them. Also have wheels on the rear of the kayak, which looked like a cool idea for getting to and from the water. The company was Contoocook River Canoe Company. I talked to Pat. I think he was the owner. nice guy. and the kayak looked wide enough to stand comfortably.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:57 pm

badlarry

The feel fre lure has caught my eye.the reason I was thinking sit on is my back gets stiff on long car rides and figure sit on I can stand n stretch it out. Thanks for the advice.

I bought one from Doug Gray @ Billington Sea Kayak in Plymouth last year. I also have an Ascend 128T and comparing it to the FeelFree, the Lure is worth the extra money. Both are very stable, but the Lure's overall fit & finish is better and the open deck in front of you allows your tackle box to sit in front of you but still let you stand up and fish. The Lure also has a wheel integrated in its keel so transporting it short distances to the water is easy.

In fact, the Lure is the blue camo kayak seen in my Avatar photo.

Visit Billington Sea Kayak when everything thaws out. The shop is on Billington Sea and Doug lets you paddle before you buy.

Best of luck with your kayak -

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:15 am

[/img]

Bought a hobie couple years ago, Lil pricy, but worth every penny

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:56 pm

The Hobie mirage drive yaks are some of the best candidates around these days for a human-or-wind-powered fishing vessel IMO. But don't take my word for it, try one and see for yourself.

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:45 pm

Agreed, I'm outa shape, an I can go all day peddling, not to mention I blow by buddies with there trolling motors. Best part over all is I'll take it in some big waves for stripers.. very sturdy, stand half the time I'm chucking baits

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:43 pm

Last edited by fdw9652 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:31 pm

How would like me to reword it bud?

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:59 pm

Here is a pic of my fish slayer from last year. Have a Jackson Cuda 12. Really like it. Can stand no problem. Have outfitted it with a trolling motor.

Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:02 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links