Went to Box pond Friday with my brother and caught 1 small pickerel and 2 nice perch. When leaving a local stopped by and said if you catch any pickerel kill them! they are killing all the Bass. Now this is the 3rd time in 2 years this guy has said this to me and this time I just ignored him because I just don't want to hear him or tell him hes a dumb ass. As we were packing up 2 other fisherman stopped by and I told them what he said and they agreed I think this is totally wrong and we should let nature take its course no? Interested what you all think. I used to catch monster pickerel here, not in 2 years Evil or Very Mad I'll also add that I've caught more Bass here last year but I think that's because I'm a better fisherman and I used crank baits a lot before which would target more pickerel?

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:18 am

just ask shawneramone

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:26 am

samf

just ask shawneramone

I'm asking everyone Shawnermaone? and what do you think Sam?

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:33 am

That was me. I'm the dumb ass

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:42 am

shawneramone

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:53 am

As much as these slimy, uncooperative thieves can piss me off, I never kill them! They sometimes save the day! Laughing

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 am

shawneramone

Sorry I didn't know, hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Pal?
Very Happy

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 am

rangerdanger

I fish a private pond In dartmouth ma that was loaded with 5-7 bass . Over the past five years Pickeral have taken over and ruined the forage base , and now all the fish are between one and two pounds with an occasional three pounder . Now we get rid of the Pickeral and have started restocking perch , and bluegill . Let me say this is a private man made pond so it's completely legal to kill as many Pickeral as you want so we kill everyone. To answer your question killing Pickeral isn't wrong or stupid in some situations ,it's called lake management. Honestly there a freeking garbage fish and a nuisance and I haven't enjoyed catching them since I was 12 , junk fish.

Well in this case how does this guy know how many fish are in the pond, maybe he just cant catch many bass, If your not counting the fish or using some other method other than saying I have caught many bass lately let kill all the pickerel it just seems stupid.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:17 am

Before I throw my half a cent into the ring here, please know that I despise pickerel...they ruin gear, cause me to drop pliers overboard, and generally wreck havoc...sometimes
That being said, I probably wouldn't start killing fish because someone told me to, so I understand the apprehension there.
I grew up with a conservation minded family, an uncle in U.S. Fish and Wildlife, and my dad was always reminding me to make sure I did my part to maintain fisheries (or wild game populations).
Sometimes maintenance includes killing overly successful species in order to increase the success of others-BUT the knowledge and foresight to be able to predict the outcome is imperative...so unless you know and are 100% certain its the right thing to do, please leave the habitat as you found it, and let those who know handle population control. Many kids get hooked on fishing by catching these nusaince fish! A big pickerel can give a great fight, for sure.
(this is NOT intended to question the man on shore and his knowledge of that particular pond, but to encourage others to gain the needed facts.)

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:41 am

rangerdanger

anyone who objects to killing Pickeral under every situation just lacks the know how and understanding how fish mangement works . No offense but ignorance is a disease.

I'll write you a prescription.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:43 am

tseastedt

Before I throw my half a cent into the ring here, please know that I despise pickerel...they ruin gear, cause me to drop pliers overboard, and generally wreck havoc...sometimes
That being said, I probably wouldn't start killing fish because someone told me to, so I understand the apprehension there.
I grew up with a conservation minded family, an uncle in U.S. Fish and Wildlife, and my dad was always reminding me to make sure I did my part to maintain fisheries (or wild game populations).
Sometimes maintenance includes killing overly successful species in order to increase the success of others-BUT the knowledge and foresight to be able to predict the outcome is imperative...so unless you know and are 100% certain its the right thing to do, please leave the habitat as you found it, and let those who know handle population control. Many kids get hooked on fishing by catching these nusaince fish! A big pickerel can give a great fight, for sure.
(this is NOT intended to question the man on shore and his knowledge of that particular pond, but to encourage others to gain the needed facts.)

well said! and I also hate catching them but on the other hand they are a cool looking fish, badass for sure.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 am

In different parts of the country there are lakes with incentives to kill fish. A lot of these species are usually invasive, like grass carp and snakehead down south, but these species are sometimes native, like burbot (cusk, eelpout, whatever the hell you wanna call them) in some lakes in the Midwest. So my point is that we're not the only ones dealing with a species associated with killing, as its done in other parts of the nation. This isn't the first time a thread like this has come up, and when they do I usually consider the fact that pickerel are a native fish to Massachusetts while bass aren't. So as others have said, I think it is good to manage bodies of water through killing fish if necessary, but people need to be mindful of what they're doing. Only kill fish if you are well-informed and know if they are truly destroying an ecosystem. And don't kill pickerel just out of hate for them, do it for the good of the pond.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:08 am

stump

shawneramone

Sorry I didn't know, hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Pal?
Very Happy

It really wasn't me. I don't usually offer unsolicited advice. But if a pond needs a purge, then so be it.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:18 am

Pickerel are only a nuisance fish to selfish fisherman who only want to catch bass.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:19 am

stump

samf

just ask shawneramone

I'm asking everyone Shawnermaone? and what do you think Sam?

i hate slime darts but i don't kill them. but i do think they ruin bass populations and ponds. i too have fished places that used to be loaded with bass but are now loaded with pickerel. all the bass are thin rats. i don't think killing one here and there by anglers would fix a pond ecosystem and it would have to be done "professionally" but this state doesn't really give a F about bass fishing so it is what it is.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links