So, I've made the switch to putting braid on my spinning reels and tying a leader. Have been using a uni to uni knot, which was working ok and not too difficult to tie. Sunday was while fishing with my son my bait gets hammered by a BIG bass and I reel down and set the hook. The line breaks right on the uni to uni knot on the leader side. Sad

What knot do you like to use and how does it hold up?

Posted Tue May 17, 2016 6:00 pm

I use a uni to uni knot but I only go braid with a fluro leader on my drop shot rod. So there's no hammering. The fact your knot broke on the leader side makes me think maybe you hammered him too hard. Was it fluro? If you don't wet the fluro when you cinch down the knot, that can weaken the line

Posted Tue May 17, 2016 7:02 pm

shawneramone

I use a uni to uni knot but I only go braid with a fluro leader on my drop shot rod. So there's no hammering. The fact your knot broke on the leader side makes me think maybe you hammered him too hard. Was it fluro? If you don't wet the fluro when you cinch down the knot, that can weaken the line

No it was a copolymer P Line 15 lb tied to 20 lb braid.

Maybe loosening the drag would help too?

Posted Tue May 17, 2016 7:36 pm

forget leaders, go straight braid or other. Most of my reels I have two spools, one with copoly or flouro, the other with braid. I switch depending where I am.

Posted Tue May 17, 2016 9:43 pm

most of the places you probably fish you don't need anything but straight braid. keep one setup for mono or other. sometimes I use a leader at the quabbin but I use mono for that, less likely to break. I use the seaguar knot, its not pretty looking but real easy to tie.

Posted Wed May 18, 2016 7:19 am

I use braid on everything and tie leaders with the double uni. You def need to wet them real good and retie a new one every so often. That knot going through the guides every cast gets beat up after awhile and will eventually fail. Usually when the big one hits lol

Posted Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Albright

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 7:21 am

FG Knot

Watch the video on how to easily tie it. Any diagrams that you find make it way more complicated than it needs to be. It is strong and thin. Fits through the guides great.

http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fg-knot/

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 1:26 pm

https://youtu.be/J56O3CZVu7M

Alberto knot IMHO is the easiest, smallest' and slides right through micro guides with ease. Try it out.

Posted Sun May 22, 2016 10:10 pm

albright is the best! my local bait shop uses it for tuna fishing! so its a great knot! never had a break off (knocks on wood)

Posted Wed May 25, 2016 8:09 am

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot

Alberto knot is an excellent knot for joining lines of different diameters and/or composition such as monofilament (or fluorocarbon) leaders to braid line

Posted Thu May 26, 2016 10:43 pm

I'll 3rd the Albright. I've been using it for my leaders for 4 to 5 years and yet to have one fail.

Posted Sat May 28, 2016 4:23 am

First thanks everyone for the feed back.

So, I've been tying straight to braid when the water clarity is not so good & I'm still having problems with line breaking? I bought 20lb spiderwire stealth braid. I've used 50lb spiderwire with no problems. But, this 20lb spiderwire is crap!! There have been times I've picked up by rod only to find the line is already broken (before I've even made a cast) or I find frayed spots on the line.

Has anyone used spiderwire? Did you have any problems?
Is there a better 20lb braid?

Posted Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Check your rod guides for cracks or breaks. One of the inserts might be broken and fraying the line. Happened to me once

Posted Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:26 pm

I use spiderwire or powerpro 15lb and 20lb on spinning reels, depends on the price. never had a problem with either. I gave up trying others. only braid that ever broke for me was suffix performance. I always strip off a foot of line after a trip just in case.

Posted Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links