Was on Sampsons this afternoon tossing a brush hog in the shoreline grass, hooked up with a 3-4lb bass, saw him take it and run, swung and set the hook, started reeling...line went limp? Thought the fish got off for a second, reeled down, still on but it was like 15-20ft closer to the boat, another brief few second and it jumped and spit the hook.

Just never had a fish turn and come straight at me like that it caught me off guard enough for the fish to get free. Was the strangest thing.

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:44 pm

surprising, they do that to me all the time

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:26 pm

Haha yup that's happened to me. Gotta reel as fast as you can to catch up to them.

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:37 pm

it happends to me quite often! stripers and bass do that!

Posted Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 am

Big smart fish he was going under the boat.

Posted Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:47 am

It happens from time to time. Sometimes they'll grab a lure and head right for the boat before you know you have one.

Posted Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Smallies love to do that to me. Have to be real careful when tossing stick baits hard to tell if u have hit if u don't pay attention. Don't have larrys do that much to me though.

Posted Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:32 pm

I've noticed it happens more at certain bodies of water over others. Oh nooooo, the fish are on to us! Surprised

Posted Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Happens a lot in that situation. They often strike and head to deeper water. A steroid induced hookset will help them go on a wild run too.

Posted Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links