I know that Lowell Massachusetts on the Merrimack is a good place to catch Carp. But I don't know where on the river to start looking I know of an area where they go to spawn... I'm new to Carp fishing but have been dishing everything from lakes to stellwagon since I was very little. Do Carl eat while they spawn because I know it's very difficult to catch bass while their spawning. Also are there any places that are known to produce carp that I should try... I'm not lookin for your secret spot or anything just a place to start up. What kind of cover do they like or whatever. I got all the stuff for it carp Ross an whatnot and I have an idea of wha to use for bait but what Im really looking for is an idea on where to go because I really havE no clue what to look for when finding a food spot to fish carp. I really want to catch one for my Lithuanian neighbors because they really enjoy when I bring them stripers or blues to eat but they really want a Carl to remind them of their homeland. Thanks a lot in advance. If you can't describe a spot to me. Coordinates are fine if not preceded if you can provide them.

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 pm

I know in Lawrence by the boat ramp i seen guys catch big carp in Lawrence Merrimack you can try there u see them right off the shore Laughing

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:22 am

Thanks I,m definitely willing to make the drive

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 pm

I have good luck in the pawtucket canal in Lowell.
Caught quite a few 10ish pound carp on bread last september. Bring a big net though, its hard to retrieve fish from the canals.

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:36 am

thanks alot i tried their the other day and caught 3 fish weighing from 5-10 pounds.

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 am

It's not the Merrimack, but right down the street from the Lowell Connector...

I've fished the Concord River 2-3 times a week from March until Nov, and it's been good for at least one carp a day.

I bring a rod to use for rooster tails, worms, etc, but I place a 2nd larger rod in the roots along the river bed, and cast the bait only a few feet from shore. Maybe it's the spot, but it's amazing how reliable they are.

An added bonus to staying close to the shore is I get a lot of catfish on that 2nd line as well.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:13 pm

The canals in downtown Lowell are loaded with them. Also there are some inlets and canals off Pawtucket Blvd that I seen some big carp in. In North Chelmsford there is a canal by the softball field where you can launch boats is also a good bet.

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:50 am

That would be southwell field, I tried all summer to get a carp from that area with no luck, they're jumping all over the place but i could not hook them. There is a ton of em down there though....

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:42 am

Are you guys talking about the field near the beach on Freeman Lake?

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:15 am

No, its not very far from there though, but i have seen some biggins come from freeman also. I even saw a pretty big Koi swimming around my boat in there once. Southwell field is right down the hill from vinal square, you go over the train tracks and to the right.

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 am

l.

Last edited by jake_chiasson45 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue May 12, 2015 10:06 pm

tom_cove

I know that Lowell Massachusetts on the Merrimack is a good place to catch Carp. But I don't know where on the river to start looking I know of an area where they go to spawn... I'm new to Carp fishing but have been dishing everything from lakes to stellwagon since I was very little. Do Carl eat while they spawn because I know it's very difficult to catch bass while their spawning. Also are there any places that are known to produce carp that I should try... I'm not lookin for your secret spot or anything just a place to start up. What kind of cover do they like or whatever. I got all the stuff for it carp Ross an whatnot and I have an idea of wha to use for bait but what Im really looking for is an idea on where to go because I really havE no clue what to look for when finding a food spot to fish carp. I really want to catch one for my Lithuanian neighbors because they really enjoy when I bring them stripers or blues to eat but they really want a Carl to remind them of their homeland. Thanks a lot in advance. If you can't describe a spot to me. Coordinates are fine if not preceded if you can provide them.

Carp dont eat while they spawn :)and they dont spawn every year It has to be perfect weather ETC. The spawning starts late May -June - Your neighbors remeber Carp 2-3 lbs not 10-20 Smile and Mirror Carp not Wild or (German)- Good Luck

Posted Wed May 13, 2015 1:11 am

Grew up right along the Concord River and the 6 arch bridge is a BONANZA spot for Carp. You need to cross the railroad bridge (look for trains fool!) and fish the other side of the bridge down current from it. You are going to lose a ton of lines (all kinds of stuff down there) but have pulled many monsters out of that area. It's at the end of Billerica st in Lowell.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Billerica+St,+Lowell,+MA+01852/@42.6196622,-71.294738,191m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e3a406dfc9d4a3:0xd3684af071a88247!6m1!1e1

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Hey grayrider16 what street is the railroad bridge on? I'm trying to find it on Google earth

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 6:15 am

Grayrider16 16 were u fishing on Billerica street?

Posted Tue May 19, 2015 6:21 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links