Two weeks from now Massachusetts Kayak Bassin' will be hitting up Snipatuit Pond in Rochester!

Seems like this pond isn't the most well-known among us, but it is an excellent fishery (I say this having only fished there twice, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate).

It's a big pond (700+ acres) with limited parking, so the big boat traffic will be minimal (especially since the Black Pond ramp is closed this year). It is shallow and tea-stained, with weeds, pads, grass, rocks, riprap, islands, etc. Plenty of options for everyone.

So come on out and join us for another great MAKB event!

This tournament is open only to those fishing from human-powered vessels (kayak, canoe, raft, etc.).

Launch Location: https://goo.gl/maps/LLWNu8Co6gQ2 (489 Neck Road, Rochester, MA)

Check-in: 4:30–5:30 AM

Captain’s Meeting: 5:30 AM

Tournament Hours: 6 AM to 2 PM

Entry Fee: $50

This and all MAKB tournaments are CPR (catch, photo, release) events. You MUST have a digital camera to compete, preferably a cell phone with Internet access. We go by length, not weight, so you need a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device.

Official rules can be found here: https://goo.gl/xoSz6B

Special rules for this event:

1. Long/Black Pond is in bounds.

2. The northernmost section of the lake is in bounds. You can access it via a culvert that goes under Neck Road.

As always, if you plan to fish, please go to the event page (linked below) and click GOING (or just reply to this thread if you do not have a Facebook page). If you know anyone who might be interested, please share this link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/989487251120487

See next reply for official rules.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:21 am

OFFICIAL RULES

Welcome to the Massachusetts Kayak Bassin’ Tournament Series! Our inaugural season will consist of ten individual tournaments. Please join us for some great, competitive events!

PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY

a. All anglers must fish from human-powered vessels (kayaks, canoes, inflatable rafts, etc.) unless a physical disability requires the use of an electric motor (max 70lb thrust).

b. Each angler must pay a minimum entry fee of $50 per event (some events will have an optional $10 smallmouth lunker pool).

FORMAT

a. This is a five-fish limit, CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament series.

b. Each tournament will be 8 hours long, weather permitting.

c. Eligible fishing areas will be listed on the event page and gone over prior to the start of each tournament

d. No pre-fishing allowed two days prior to each event.

d. Artificial lures only, no exceptions.

ELIGIBLE SPECIES

a. Largemouth Bass

b. Smallmouth Bass

SCORING

a. The default unit of measurement is length, no exceptions. All fish will be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter inch.

b. Highest aggregate length wins.

c. Minimum length for a bass is 8 inches.

d. In the case of a tie, the tie-breaker goes to the person with the longest fish. In the case of a tie for longest, the tie-breaker will then be the next longest fish, etc.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

a. These are CPR (catch, photo, release) tournaments. A digital camera is required equipment.

b. You will need a Hawg Trough or equivalent (no flat measuring boards). See the Files section of this page for purchase links to acceptable measuring boards.

c. The numbers and lines on your measuring board must be black (or sufficiently darkened to contrast with the board) and clearly visible in each photo.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

a. Each angler will be given a unique identifier at registration, which must be clearly visible in each photograph.

b. All fish must be photographed facing left, dorsal fin up (the dorsal fin does not need to be in the up position).
c. Photographs must be taken from an angle close to directly above the fish. Photographs taken at a more severe angle are subject to deductions.

d. The bass’s mouth can be open no more than one inch and must be touching the measuring board’s “lip” or “fence.”
e. You may use your fingers to pinch the mouth closed as long as the fish’s eye is visible and you can clearly see that the lip is touching the “lip” of the board.

f. Any bass whose mouth is open more than one inch will result in a half-inch deduction.

g. Tails must be relaxed, centered, and not excessively pinched.

h. Your kayak (or canoe, raft, etc.) must be visible in all photographs.

i. You may restrain your fish with a clip or fish grips (side of the mouth ONLY), or leave the hook in the fish’s mouth (though this is potentially dangerous and not recommended).

PAYOUTS

a. A minimum of two places plus lunker(s) will be paid out.

b. Example of Payouts (based on 10 anglers and a pool of $500):

1st Place: $200
2nd Place: $120
3rd Place: $80
Lunker: $100

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:21 am

I would love to sign up

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:43 am

padhopper827

I would love to sign up

If you have a Facebook account, you can sign up here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/989487251120487

If not, just saying you're in here, then show up.

Please read the rules, though. If you're unfamiliar with CPR rules, you'll need a Hawg Trough. The best, most convenient version can be found at Fishing Online:

http://www.fishingonline.com/hawg-trough-measuring-board-pre-lined-floating

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:26 am

Weather is looking great for Saturday. Come on out for another great event! Plenty of room for more. =)

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:22 am

Bump!

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 am

I'm in.

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Anyone else? Gonna be a good one!

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:41 pm

Report/Results:

Tournament #5 is done!

We fished Snipatuit Pond today. We had six anglers. Great day for fishing.

Like probably everyone did, I started out fishing topwater. I didn't have much luck catching bass, but I was doing pretty damn good catching pickerel. We should've done a side pool for pickerel lunker. Haha.

Anyway, about an hour in I caught my first bass, a dink. I made my way into Black Pond around 9 AM, intending to first skip the frog under the overhanging bushes, but some other guys were fishing that area, so I moved down to the other end and began fishing the pads with a Damiki Air Frog. No luck in the pads...

Then I cast out deeper over some milfoil, and a giant inhaled the frog. The way it hit, I was convinced it was a pike or an 8-pounder. Unfortunately it was just 4lb 14oz (20.5").

Not long after, in the same area, I pulled out another 4-pounder (19.25"). Right around the corner, flipping into a laydown, I got another (19.25"). Right after that, once again on the frog, I nailed another (19").

The bite died after that. It took me a couple more hours to catch another bass. I skipped the frog up under a little culvert that had some water pouring into it, and a bass nailed it. It went 17.25", which was good to cull the dink. And that was it for me, aside from a few more pickerel.

Pretty awesome day, though. I was in the right place at the right time.

Here are the results:

1st Place: Ken Wood - 95.25"
2nd Place: Chris Diranian - 60"
3rd Place: Bruce Levy (Bam) - 57"
Lunker: Ken Wood - 20.5"

Thanks again to everyone who came out. You guys rock! And congrats, Chris and Bruce!

Next one is Johns Pond on July 9. Hope to see you there!

Posted Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Congrats, Ken! Good job to the rest too. Wish I could have been there!

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 am

tomp

Congrats, Ken! Good job to the rest too. Wish I could have been there!

Thanks! =)

The next one is July 9 at Johns Pond in Mashpee. Bit of a haul for you, but if the weather is good it's worth the trip.

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links