The next MAKB tournament will be held at Stump Pond/Robbins Pond in East Bridgewater/Halifax. Yes, we've already fished here this year, but we needed a last-minute backup spot after canceling the Johns Pond tournament, and fishing Ol' Stumpy is rarely a bad call.

Participants are allowed to fish both Stump Pond and Robbins Pond (accessed by portaging over a dirt road).

Though you can park and launch at Robbins Pond, this will not be a roadrunner event. There have been issues with nearby residents harassing fishermen who park in and fish from that area, so we're going to launch from the bogs near Stump Pond on route 106.

Enter on the right side of the bogs. If you come to locked gate, you're on the wrong side.

This tournament is open only to those fishing from human-powered vessels (kayak, canoe, raft, etc.).

Launch Location: https://goo.gl/maps/8Ehh6MXcEos (2105 Plymouth Street, East Bridgewater, MA, across from the 106 Mini Mart)

Check-in: 4:30–5:30 AM

Captain’s Meeting: 5:30 AM

Tournament Hours: 6 AM to 2 PM

Entry Fee: $50

This and all MAKB tournaments are CPR (catch, photo, release) events. You must have a digital camera to compete, preferably a cell phone with Internet access. We go by length, not weight, so you also need a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device.

Official rules can be found here: https://goo.gl/xoSz6B

Special rules for this event:

1. Rivers are in bounds.

2. Robbins Pond is in bounds (accessed by portaging over a dirt road).

3. Unnamed bog bog northeast of Stump Pond is in bounds (also accessed by portaging over a dirt road).

As always, if you plan to fish, please go to the event page (linked below) and click GOING (or just reply to this thread if you do not have a Facebook page). If you know anyone who might be interested, please share this link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1147217895341879

See next reply for official rules.

Last edited by kenwood on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:05 pm

OFFICIAL RULES

Welcome to the Massachusetts Kayak Bassin’ Tournament Series! Our inaugural season will consist of ten individual tournaments. Please join us for some great, competitive events!

PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY

a. All anglers must fish from human-powered vessels (kayaks, canoes, inflatable rafts, etc.) unless a physical disability requires the use of an electric motor (max 70lb thrust).

b. Each angler must pay a minimum entry fee of $50 per event (some events will have an optional $10 smallmouth lunker pool).

FORMAT

a. This is a five-fish limit, CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament series.

b. Each tournament will be 8 hours long, weather permitting.

c. Eligible fishing areas will be listed on the event page and gone over prior to the start of each tournament

d. No pre-fishing allowed two days prior to each event.

d. Artificial lures only, no exceptions.

ELIGIBLE SPECIES

a. Largemouth Bass

b. Smallmouth Bass

SCORING

a. The default unit of measurement is length, no exceptions. All fish will be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter inch.

b. Highest aggregate length wins.

c. Minimum length for a bass is 8 inches.

d. In the case of a tie, the tie-breaker goes to the person with the longest fish. In the case of a tie for longest, the tie-breaker will then be the next longest fish, etc.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

a. These are CPR (catch, photo, release) tournaments. A digital camera is required equipment.

b. You will need a Hawg Trough or equivalent (no flat measuring boards). See the Files section of this page for purchase links to acceptable measuring boards.

c. The numbers and lines on your measuring board must be black (or sufficiently darkened to contrast with the board) and clearly visible in each photo.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

a. Each angler will be given a unique identifier at registration, which must be clearly visible in each photograph.

b. All fish must be photographed facing left, dorsal fin up (the dorsal fin does not need to be in the up position).
c. Photographs must be taken from an angle close to directly above the fish. Photographs taken at a more severe angle are subject to deductions.

d. The bass’s mouth can be open no more than one inch and must be touching the measuring board’s “lip” or “fence.”
e. You may use your fingers to pinch the mouth closed as long as the fish’s eye is visible and you can clearly see that the lip is touching the “lip” of the board.

f. Any bass whose mouth is open more than one inch will result in a half-inch deduction.

g. Tails must be relaxed, centered, and not excessively pinched.

h. Your kayak (or canoe, raft, etc.) must be visible in all photographs.

i. You may restrain your fish with a clip or fish grips (side of the mouth ONLY), or leave the hook in the fish’s mouth (though this is potentially dangerous and not recommended).

PAYOUTS

a. A minimum of two places plus lunker(s) will be paid out.

b. Example of Payouts (based on 10 anglers and a pool of $500):

1st Place: $200
2nd Place: $120
3rd Place: $80
Lunker: $100

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Bump. We've got 8 so far. Come out and join us!

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Are there still spots for this one? I can do it if someone has an extra Hawg troug , just broke mine

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:01 pm

evanmccarthy608

Are there still spots for this one? I can do it if someone has an extra Hawg troug , just broke mine

I have one you can use.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:07 pm

evanmccarthy608

Plenty of room come on down

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:21 am

chrisfishd

evanmccarthy608

I have one you can use.

I have an extra as well. =)

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:34 am

thanks a lot, see everyone there

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:19 am

Right on.

The weather has improved, too. Might be a bit wet at times, but as of right now it's not calling for thunderstorms. Should be a good day.

Posted Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:32 am

Results/report:

Hell of a day today.

Eleven of us braved the potentially bad weather and fished Stump Pond and its neighbor, Robbins Pond, for the sixth MAKB tournament of the year.

The day started with some mist and a bit of a spring chill in the air. Luckily it never really rained on us. Always a good thing. And no lightning! Even better.

I know some people caught fish early, but it took me about an hour to get a bite. The rest of the day was a grind, as it was for most people. I only caught six keeper bass. I don't think anyone else "slayed 'em," either.

Despite the grind, a lot of quality fish were caught. It was a quality over quantity kind of day.

How about two 6-pounders? My father, Paul Reed, caught a 6.4lb slob on a white spinnerbait. Also on a spinnerbait, I think, Craig Page​ landed a beastly 6.2lb bass.

Though Paul technically caught the bigger bass, as happens in by-length tournaments, his 21.25-inch bass lost out to Craig's 21.5-inch bass. Lunker by a quarter of an inch—and the big bass of the year so far!

Congrats, Craig! Sorry, Dad. Wunh wuuuuuuuh.

I caught one bass on a spinnerbait, also white, but the rest came on frogs—one on the Damiki Air Frog, one on a Yamafrog, and the rest on a Culprit Marsh Frog. My five (below) went 82.5 inches, good enough for third place.

Though he lost lunker, my father slung his trusty spinnerbait out over deeper weeds and hauled in a hefty five that went 85.75 inches. A little second place redemption. Congrats, dude!

First place went to newcomer Evan McCarthy (who I can't tag for some reason). This was his first kayak tournament! If I remember correctly, most if not all of his fish came on a chatterbait. His biggest five went 88.75 inches, the second biggest limit of the year.

Congrats, Evan!

(I owe you a trophy, by the way. Sorry I forgot to give it to you. Though I guess it's not a big deal since I need to swap out the engraving plate. The one on it is for the Johns Pond tourney, which we canceled. I'll get it to you as soon as possible!)

Collectively, we caught a ridiculous 700.25 inches of bass! Outstanding job, fellas!

As always, thanks for coming out. It is very much appreciated!

And special nod once again to Edward Neely​ who came all the way from Springfield, and to Bruce Sullivan who made a two-hour trek from New Hampshire! Check out his club, Granite State Kayak Anglers​. =)

The next tournament is in two weeks, July 23, at Neponset Reservoir. Hope to see you there!

https://www.facebook.com/events/839926819472367

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 pm

2 6+ pounders! Big numbers, guys! Nice going!

Posted Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:38 pm

kenwood

Results/report:

Hell of a day today.

Eleven of us braved the potentially bad weather and fished Stump Pond and its neighbor, Robbins Pond, for the sixth MAKB tournament of the year.

The day started with some mist and a bit of a spring chill in the air. Luckily it never really rained on us. Always a good thing. And no lightning! Even better.

I know some people caught fish early, but it took me about an hour to get a bite. The rest of the day was a grind, as it was for most people. I only caught six keeper bass. I don't think anyone else "slayed 'em," either.

Despite the grind, a lot of quality fish were caught. It was a quality over quantity kind of day.

How about two 6-pounders? My father, Paul Reed, caught a 6.4lb slob on a white spinnerbait. Also on a spinnerbait, I think, Craig Page​ landed a beastly 6.2lb bass.

Though Paul technically caught the bigger bass, as happens in by-length tournaments, his 21.25-inch bass lost out to Craig's 21.5-inch bass. Lunker by a quarter of an inch—and the big bass of the year so far!

Congrats, Craig! Sorry, Dad. Wunh wuuuuuuuh.

I caught one bass on a spinnerbait, also white, but the rest came on frogs—one on the Damiki Air Frog, one on a Yamafrog, and the rest on a Culprit Marsh Frog. My five (below) went 82.5 inches, good enough for third place.

Though he lost lunker, my father slung his trusty spinnerbait out over deeper weeds and hauled in a hefty five that went 85.75 inches. A little second place redemption. Congrats, dude!

First place went to newcomer Evan McCarthy (who I can't tag for some reason). This was his first kayak tournament! If I remember correctly, most if not all of his fish came on a chatterbait. His biggest five went 88.75 inches, the second biggest limit of the year.

Congrats, Evan!

(I owe you a trophy, by the way. Sorry I forgot to give it to you. Though I guess it's not a big deal since I need to swap out the engraving plate. The one on it is for the Johns Pond tourney, which we canceled. I'll get it to you as soon as possible!)

Collectively, we caught a ridiculous 700.25 inches of bass! Outstanding job, fellas!

As always, thanks for coming out. It is very much appreciated!

And special nod once again to Edward Neely​ who came all the way from Springfield, and to Bruce Sullivan who made a two-hour trek from New Hampshire! Check out his club, Granite State Kayak Anglers​. =)

The next tournament is in two weeks, July 23, at Neponset Reservoir. Hope to see you there!

https://www.facebook.com/events/839926819472367

sounds like it was a good day. I have a 14 jon boat on a trailer. is there room to launch a small boat from a trailer? thanks, Dave.

Posted Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:35 pm

scubaman

sounds like it was a good day. I have a 14 jon boat on a trailer. is there room to launch a small boat from a trailer? thanks, Dave.

There is no ramp there. You could man-handle a smaller boat if you really wanted to, but anything with a motor will have a hard time at this place. Too many weeds and stumps.

Posted Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:47 pm

kenwood

scubaman

There is no ramp there. You could man-handle a smaller boat if you really wanted to, but anything with a motor will have a hard time at this place. Too many weeds and stumps.

thanks Ken. after I get a Kayak I will check it out.

Posted Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links