The next MAKB event will be at Neponset Reservoir in Foxboro on July 23. This is a once-great fishery well on its way to recovery. You'll have to work your way through a lot of one- and two-pounders, but the big girls are in there. Should be a great tournament!

The launch area is directly across from the end of Kersey Road. There is a short walk to the pond, so you might want to bring something with wheels if you have it.

The parking area is just feet from houses on two sides, so when gearing up please be VERY quiet and respectful to those residents who will likely be sleeping.

This tournament is open only to those fishing from human-powered vessels (kayak, canoe, raft, etc.).

Launch Location: https://goo.gl/maps/tJsWwzEDx6o (94 Kersey Road, Foxboro, MA)

Check-in: 4:30–5:30 AM

Captain’s Meeting: 5:30 AM

Tournament Hours: 6 AM to 2 PM

Entry Fee: $50

This and all MAKB tournaments are CPR (catch, photo, release) events. You MUST have a digital camera to compete, preferably a cell phone with Internet access. We go by length, not weight, so you need a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device.

As always, if you plan to fish, please go to the event page (linked below) and click GOING (or just reply to this thread if you do not have a Facebook page). If you know anyone who might be interested, please share this link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/839926819472367

See next reply for official rules.

Hope to see you there!

Last edited by kenwood on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:34 am

Welcome to the Massachusetts Kayak Bassin’ Tournament Series! Our inaugural season will consist of ten individual tournaments. Please join us for some great, competitive events!

PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY

a. All anglers must fish from human-powered vessels (kayaks, canoes, inflatable rafts, etc.) unless a physical disability requires the use of an electric motor (max 70lb thrust).

b. Each angler must pay a minimum entry fee of $50 per event (some events will have an optional $10 smallmouth lunker pool).

FORMAT

a. This is a five-fish limit, CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament series.

b. Each tournament will be 8 hours long, weather permitting.

c. Eligible fishing areas will be listed on the event page and gone over prior to the start of each tournament

d. No pre-fishing allowed two days prior to each event.

e. Artificial lures only, no exceptions.

ELIGIBLE SPECIES

a. Largemouth Bass

b. Smallmouth Bass

SCORING

a. The default unit of measurement is length, no exceptions. All fish will be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter inch.

b. Highest aggregate length wins.

c. Minimum length for a bass is 8 inches.

d. In the case of a tie, the tie-breaker goes to the person with the longest fish. In the case of a tie for longest, the tie-breaker will then be the next longest fish, etc.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

a. These are CPR (catch, photo, release) tournaments. A digital camera is required equipment.

b. You will need a Hawg Trough or equivalent (no flat measuring boards). See the Files section of this page for purchase links to acceptable measuring boards.

c. The numbers and lines on your measuring board must be black (or sufficiently darkened to contrast with the board) and clearly visible in each photo.

d. A PFD (i.e. life vest) must be worn at ALL times.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

a. Each angler will be given a unique identifier at registration, which must be clearly visible in each photograph.

b. All fish must be photographed facing left, dorsal fin up (the dorsal fin does not need to be in the up position).
c. Photographs must be taken from an angle close to directly above the fish. Photographs taken at a more severe angle are subject to deductions.

d. The bass’s mouth can be open no more than one inch and must be touching the measuring board’s “lip” or “fence.”
e. You may use your fingers to pinch the mouth closed as long as the fish’s eye is visible and you can clearly see that the lip is touching the “lip” of the board.

f. Any bass whose mouth is open more than one inch will result in a half-inch deduction.

g. Tails must be relaxed, centered, and not excessively pinched.

h. Your kayak (or canoe, raft, etc.) must be visible in all photographs.

i. You may restrain your fish with a clip or fish grips (side of the mouth ONLY), or leave the hook in the fish’s mouth (though this is potentially dangerous and not recommended).

PAYOUTS

a. A minimum of two places plus lunker(s) will be paid out.

b. Example of Payouts (based on 10 anglers and a pool of $500):

1st Place: $200
2nd Place: $120
3rd Place: $80
Lunker: $100

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:35 am

Currently we have 13 anglers signed up, but there is room for more.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:38 am

Bump!

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Gonna be a good one tomorrow. We've got 14 signed up, room for more! =)

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:13 am

no results?

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 am

hagabass

no results?

Sorry!

Here's what I posted on Facebook:

We fished Neponset Reservoir today for the seventh stop on this year's trail. We had 12 anglers show up, which was great considering the forecast.

Luckily there were no thunderstorms, though rain probably would have been nice. It was pretty hot out there. Definitely not as hot as I expected, though, thanks to a strong breeze. It was bearable. Whenever I got out of the wind, though, I could hear my skin sizzling. Haha.

Anyway, at launch my father and I made a B line to the big cove to the right of the launch area. That cove gave him a tournament win in 2014 and me one last year. I spent an hour or two in there, but it didn't produce much at all, just three dinks and some pickerel.

I caught a ton of fish throughout the day, but all small. I ended up with 63.75 inches. Not very good.

It was a dinkfest in general, which is typical of Neponset, but in between all those dinks, some guys found the bigger fish.

Chris Diranian​ found five good ones for a total of 71.5 inches, which put him in the winner's circle at third place.

Edward Neely​ reeled in 77 inches of bass, anchored by a 19.5-inch slob. Both good enough for second place and lunker.

Late in the day, Evan McCarthy​ tied on a Whopper Plopper and launched a Hail Mary cast, hooked up, and then tossed it some more. And it paid off. All that whopping and plopping was like a dinner bell for some of the bigger fish buried down in the weeds. He took first place--back-to-back victories--with 77.5 inches.

Good work, fellas! Congrats!

As always, thanks for coming out, everyone. Good to see some new faces out there as well. =)

I have a busy August coming up, so the next tournament isn't until August 27, at Dudley Pond. But though I'll be away, if someone wants to step up and run one mid-month, let me know and we can set it up. =)

Posted Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:00 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links