Hi guys
Sorry about the naïve questions... Do you use a metal leader between your line swivel and the hook/lure?
I lost 3 crankbaits this weekend on pickerels, at the beginning I thought my knot or line were not strong enough but then I realised that it was probably cut by the pickerels teeth.
I heard about metal leaders to prevent pikes to cut the line, but I am wondering if it prevents catching other fish like bass?
I was targetting bass and got several ones but then lost most of my crankbaits on pickerels... that was quite frustrating

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Metal leaders are not ideal for bass fishing. Unless you are topwater fishing with a frog or popper i wouldnt touch one. Im sure plenty of bass have been caught while using one but the more invisible your gear is the better off you are. Losing lures to pickeral is part of the game when using hardbaits.

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Making up some flurocarbon leaders 8-12 lb test is a good alternative fluro is much harder for a pickeral to bite through than mono or braid. I use fluro when tuna fishing and have brought in sharks on it.

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Making up some flurocarbon leaders 8-12 lb test is a good alternative fluro is much harder for a pickeral to bite through than mono or braid. I use fluro when tuna fishing and have brought in sharks on it.

Posted Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Using a wire or metal leader is almost always impractical unless you're looking to land sharks or an alligator gar.

Even when I ice fish for pike I use a 30lb fluorocarbon.

If pickerel keep breaking you off try using a 10-15lb mono or fluorocarbon leader. It's near invisible, cheap, and far more practical. I feel like wire or metal messes with the action of the lure and takes away from the presentation.

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Ok I will try fluorocarbone leader then. What kind of main line do you guys use for bass fishing? My reel says the length of line I can put if I use 6,8 or 10 lbs lines but does that mean that I cannot go higher than 10lbs otherwise I will damage the reel?

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 pm

No, you won't damage the reel. Those are the lb tests that the reel can handle. Is it a spinning reel? If you go to a higher lb test you will have problems with over runs and back lashes.

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 am

yes I am using a spinning reel (president's reel from pflueger).
what lb test is good for bass fishing using crankbaits usually?

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 am

In a place loaded with pickerel, I tried metal leads and it was a big waste. Neither bass or pickerel would really hit. I bet a spinner would work good though (your fishing spot isn't too weedy and metal won't ruin a spinner's action).

I went back to pickerel fish with live-lined panfish and SW gear because I knew there were monsters. It was awesome.

50lb mono lead striper hook was useless. The pick was probably 4-6 pounds.

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:08 am

answer3

I would go with 10lb Trilene XL. Never had any problems with that line and it holds up well. Good for cranking.

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 am

don51

answer3

I would go with 10lb Trilene XL. Never had any problems with that line and it holds up well. Good for cranking.

I use the same stuff and it's never done me wrong

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks guys! I just bought some 10lb trilene xl and fluorocarbone for the leader. How long the leader should be? 3-4ft? Is it ok if I connect it to the main line with a snap swivel?

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:08 pm

answer3

Thanks guys! I just bought some 10lb trilene xl and fluorocarbone for the leader. How long the leader should be? 3-4ft? Is it ok if I connect it to the main line with a snap swivel?

I use a double uni knot to attach my leaders.

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:16 am

Don't bother with the flouro leader if you are cranking. You are just adding another knot that you don't need. The Trilene XL is fine just as it is.Tie direct to the crankbait. Keep it simple! Laughing

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links