Hey buddy, I hear you don't like catch and keep. Guess what? Next keeper I catch, I'm gonna clonk it over the head and enjoy ever last bit of its succulent flesh, just for you. I bet you've never even seen the inside of fish before in your life.

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:49 am

to each his own ....but i wouldnt eat a fresh water bass

personally id eat a trout or salmon but other than that salt water fish only

i still cant get over certain people you see with there white buckets you see that eat sunfish as well lol

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:18 am

Trout and salmon are ment to be caught and eaten. I fish for trout almost 3 times a month, he killed a sport fish for no reason thats all i was getting at. I didnt realize this was going to turn into a childish fight. Yea the white bucket brigade are notorious up here

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:37 am

teamhookset

Trout and salmon are ment to be caught and eaten. I fish for trout almost 3 times a month, he killed a sport fish for no reason thats all i was getting at. I didnt realize this was going to turn into a childish fight. Yea the white bucket brigade are notorious up here

You dont get to decide what fish are sport and what fish can be eaten. You are joke if a fisherman if you look down upon those who qctually eat their sizeable catches rather than treating them like play things. I have been catching bass for 17 years and do you know how many bass i have taken? 5 - which means one fish taken every 3.4 years.

On top of that, while the state legal limit is 12 inches, i do not take any fish smaller than 15 inches and never take more than one for any given day and that was taught to me by my father.

Have fun pretending that you are better than everyone else.

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 pm

You do have the right to keep it, people just frown upon it at a sport fishing style site. I think it's less of an issue when it's smaller sized bass. that's a future 7 pounder removed. At any rate whats done is done. I'd be interested to know what it had in its stomach?

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 pm

a lot of the ponds are contaminated with mercury and other crap. the ponds arent clean and nether are some rivers. id only keep panfish or trout! panfish dont have a ton of contaminants like the bass do.

bioaccumilation is a life time of contaminants in smaller fish like panfish.

Biomagnification is the amount of all the life times of contaminants of each prey fish. so the bass will have more then perch and shiners due to eating them.

plus id rather see a big bass swim away to get bigger.
but if a pond is over run with small bass! cull them to improve the fishery.

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Uncle Homer used to advise people who asked about keeping bass to keep the smaller and let the bigger ones go. Once while on vacation in Maine my wife asked me to keep a fish for the grill. So I caught a 2 pounder and grilled it up. Tasted like weeds. I never ate another bass again. I don't agree with killing a 6 pounder for anything other than an accidental gut hook.

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:17 pm

teamhookset

He killed a bass. And as long as he is licensed, he had every right to kill it and eat it. There is no such thing as a "sport fish."

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:56 pm

My .02 cause it's what I do..... The guy has every right ( assuming he purchased a 2016 fishing license, Care to post a pic of that ) to catch and eat 5 bass a day 7 days a week. Having said that this is a fishing message board where 99% of bass fisherman practice C & R 100% of the time. Posting a pic of a dead 5lber in his living room was going to provoke discussion, He had to know that. Also we who practice C & R have to be open minded and allow for the fact that others think differently and sometimes take a fish or 2 home for consumption. It is a shame to see a big beautiful fish like that gone from the Gene pool . If I may suggest, next time take home 2-3 two lbers for the table

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:52 am

kenwood

teamhookset

He killed a bass. And as long as he is licensed, he had every right to kill it and eat it. There is no such thing as a "sport fish."

He killed a fish that had potential to become much larger that us sport fisherman enjoy catching. I never said he couldnt take the fish, its his right if he does have a license to do so. I SAID he should t have taken THAT fish unless it was gut hooked or bleeding out. Ive caught 9-10 lbers in Florida and in California and i NEVER take the fish. This discussion will go on and on with people who do it for sport and people that do it for food so lets end it.

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:20 pm

The guy posted pics along with the video on NEF. He's in for a world of pain now. lol Laughing

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:46 am

what can you say about a guy who shore fishes at a spot you can't release the fish safely.

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Here is my two cents on this: I am on the side of catch and release. If I catch a good size fish, I weigh it, take my pictures for evidence and release it. I fish for the adventure and thrill of it and if you throw a good size fish back, you may catch him next season which I think is more fun than hanging him on the wall or eating it.

On the flip side, If I'm stuck in a lifeboat(decent chance as I'm a Merchant Mariner and at sea for half of the year) or any survival situation, your damn right I'm gonna eat the hell out of that fish! But in a world where I don't need to gather, hunt or fish for my food, I'll throw the fish back 100% of the time.

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 am

I read an article that said it takes at least ten years for a Largemouth Bass to get to 6lbs in New England's cooler waters.

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:47 pm

I can believe that. That is definitely the trend for the size of bass in the US. Florida has the biggest bass followed by the other states in the South but the further north you go, the bass are generally smaller because of the much shorter time that the water is warm

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links