There's a small pond that I know of that looks like bass heaven. After driving by it for years and always thinking to myself "man, that place looks like it could hold a few larrys" I decided to try it out from the shore.

I walk up to what looked like an old boat launch and noticed several signs tacked to a few trees. Each sign said "POND CLOSED NO FISHING". There was no date, no signature, no stamp - nothing that made it look official. I have the feeling that the person who lives next to this pond doesn't want people fishing in it so they put the signs up themselves. Admittedly I tossed a few lures, despite these signs, and caught about 3 bass in 5 minutes before I decided to hoof it out of there.

My question: do I just say screw it and fish it anyway? is there an office or department I can call and ask?

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Environmental police should know?! Maybe you can try to research it online about any by laws

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:09 pm

If there is public access, you can check surveyor map, you will probably be ok. Towns and MFW usually sign their signs. I've never really understood no fishing signs because they have next to no effect, the res's in the lynn woods are fished every day during the summer months. There is no effort to keep people from fishing in there.

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 pm

swill17

If there is public access, you can check surveyor map, you will probably be ok. Towns and MFW usually sign their signs. I've never really understood no fishing signs because they have next to no effect, the res's in the lynn woods are fished every day during the summer months. There is no effort to keep people from fishing in there.

according to a buddy of mine that lives in Lynn, they are going to open all those lakes to fishing. reason being they are fished anyway and not enforced.

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 pm

most likely BS try to find out who owns the land if its state or town owned you should be good. its probable some A-hole that lives on it that thinks they own the water

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:30 pm

would you be talking about small pond on mill st in milford?if so i have fished it many times seen the signs on trees last time i was there so guy asked me if i could read LOL fat piece of s*** but i took off. how ever i dont care i had my kayak out there and killed them biggest around 4lbs go for it

Posted Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links