I am planning to buy a pedal kayak in the future and the big question is mirage drive vs propel and which brand.

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:59 pm

I was just down by Buzzards Bay at the Army Surplus Store next to the Water Wiz Park they had a couple of kayaks with pedal drive an a motor drive nice looking kayaks very pricey they also have a large selection of other yaks you can look at.

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:40 pm

thanks

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:22 pm

I know this post is old but did you find a yak? If not May 6 an 7th there is a Expo to try out around 100 kayaks .

http://www.onthewater.com/oskf-presents-water-kayak-demo-kayak-fishing-expo/

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:11 am

I have not found a one yet I was looking at the http://www.austinkayak.com/products/22337/Perception-Pescador-Pilot-12-Pedal-Kayak.html that came out this year seems pretty nice have not looked at reviews yet. The kayak expo is a pretty long drive for me but thanks for input.

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

Will there is a store that has a lot of kayaks to try out ,they are the ones doing the event for May 6 an 7.
http://www.kayakcentre.com/
http://bananasinc.com/gbs/
Bananas has some nice ones in stock also. Always go to be able to see what your getting into. Good Luck

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm

southshoreyaker

I have not found a one yet I was looking at the http://www.austinkayak.com/products/22337/Perception-Pescador-Pilot-12-Pedal-Kayak.html that came out this year seems pretty nice have not looked at reviews yet. The kayak expo is a pretty long drive for me but thanks for input.

Search you tube. There's several reviews on this system. Some are not to flattering. According to one review, the prop is cheap, thin, plastic attached by a cheap nut-n-bolt arrangement and has apparently come loose in some cases causing loss of propulsion. Articulation of the drive is sloppy and difficult and time consuming. Built in track systems are made of cheap plastic instead of metal like the more popular yak attach systems. Built-in rod holders are too shallow and wont hold most rods - you'll have to customize pvc pipe into the holders to make them useful or buy and attach your own. It sounds like they have a great idea, but fell short on quality in a number of areas. The Hobie revolution 13 is at a comparable size price, and higher quality, and has a much more mature history; but does not have reverse (unless you pay more for the newer drive system, but even that is not instantaneous) and is not as wide so is probably not as 'stable' for new users.

Posted Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for input. I saw the bad reviews on the pilot kayak. I will look at the hobie kayak. I would like something I could stand up in to fish. Once in a great while one shows up on Craigslist.

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Since this is in the freshwater section, I'd caution you to try any peddle drive kayak. Their drive systems tend not to be happy in shallow , weedy/rocky waters.

Not sure if the requirement for a peddle drive is negotiable but, I'd point ou there are some great stand up capable kayaks for less than 1/2 the price (and at greatly reduced weight) of a Hobie .

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Check out the jet ski motor powered kayaks.

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Check out old town predator series I have the mx and the pdl. Don't go by the msrp prices online most shops give a 10% discount on them. The mx is a great small pond small lake kayak although I have had it out on the providence river it paddles great and easy to stand on. As for a peddle kayak I went with the predator pdl as hobie mounting options were limited and didn't like the reverse on it because you had to change it with your hand. Bike style is the way to go easy to hold on spots while jogging and mounting options are unlimited with the plates.
Have had it out in 2 feet of water no problem and just in a shallow river fishing for stripers trolling can feel when the prop hits bottom so you just stop peddling and lift the drive or just slowly peddle through the sandy shallow spots

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 am

weehooker

Since this is in the freshwater section, I'd caution you to try any peddle drive kayak. Their drive systems tend not to be happy in shallow , weedy/rocky waters.

Not sure if the requirement for a peddle drive is negotiable but, I'd point ou there are some great stand up capable kayaks for less than 1/2 the price (and at greatly reduced weight) of a Hobie .

The Hobie can be taken in very shallow water without pulling up the drive. In fact I beach mine all the time without pulling the drive out and other than a few scratches on protective housing, there's no issue. You can also pedal/flutter the Hobie fins in 2-3 inches of water (yes inches, not feet), no issue, and the newer drive (which is retrofitable with older boats) has a cable you pull to put it into reverse....not as instantaneous as the bicycle type drivers, but based on reviews I've seen, for example on NEFK, they are more reliable than the bicycle type drives. Also, if you do happen somehow to bend the mast on the Hobie fin, it's a simple matter of unscrewing the mast and installing another; and in most cases the damaged mast can be straightened our reused as a spare. That being said, the predator is a very fine machine as well. Either way, it's fishing. Make up your mind, get one, and get out there.

Posted Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 pm

ech

weehooker

The Hobie can be taken in very shallow water without pulling up the drive. In fact I beach mine all the time without pulling the drive out and other than a few scratches on protective housing, there's no issue. You can also pedal/flutter the Hobie fins in 2-3 inches of water (yes inches, not feet), no issue, and the newer drive (which is retrofitable with older boats) has a cable you pull to put it into reverse....not as instantaneous as the bicycle type drivers, but based on reviews I've seen, for example on NEFK, they are more reliable than the bicycle type drives. Also, if you do happen somehow to bend the mast on the Hobie fin, it's a simple matter of unscrewing the mast and installing another; and in most cases the damaged mast can be straightened our reused as a spare. They are indeed heavier than a paddle kayak. The pro angler is the easiest to standup in, and has great storage and capacity, but is well over 100 lbs loaded....not sure how they get away with selling it as a kayak ad not a boat. Anyway, that being said, the predator is a very fine machine as well. Either way, it's fishing. Make up your mind, get one, and get out there.

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:32 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links