I was wondering on tips on catching these guys on spring, summer, and fall. I have a kayak and have been fishing a lot on Lake Cochituate and have caught tons of Largemouth bass and perch, as well as pickerel, calico bass, bluegill, etc.. I want to catch some bigger game like a pike or tiger. i understand in places like at cochituate they will be deep below the thermacline? how do i locate them? i heard swimbaits the the daredevli spoon are good. any info would be nice, would love to catch a water wolf!

Posted Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm no expert on pike fishing but I know this time of year the big ones are hanging around deep weedlines. They're sight and ambush predators so they need cover to feed. Find the deep weeds (or other cover) and comb through it.

Posted Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:50 am

That makes sense, but I have no way of telling how deep it is. I know one spot where it's 50 feet. I'm saving up for a portable depth/fish finder, but as far as knowing if vegetation is there that seems impossible as I can't see past 5-7 feet.... how do you find deep vegetation?

Posted Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Are you in a boat or from shore?
there are a few different ways of checking the depth.

Sorry for the barrage of questions

Pike will tend to hold closer to the shore where as the Tiger's will normally be deeper this time of the year.

Pike have been quiet for a couple of few weeks, this would be the time to fish for Tiger's, there cycle is a few weeks behind the Northern's even though they do not breed, wink wink.

Hope this helped some
Muskie

Posted Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:01 pm

i'm fishing from a kayak almost always. i am thinking of getting a portable depth/fish finder but it's expensive. I'm still learning on how to locate fish. rule of thumb is where weeds, birds, and bait fish... obviously where u find the baitfish is most of the time you find the big ones. any tips on fall pike/muskie fishing? i know nothing about breeding etc when it comes to finding them!

Posted Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:49 pm

I find that last 2 weeks in Sept 1dt 2 weeks in October is when the Pike bite truly heats up on the Sud/Conc multible fish days are the norm. 1oz spinner bait is my go to bait

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:56 am

"sept 1dt 2 weeks in october"? The last two weeks of september thru the first 2 in october? what parts of the concord/sudbury do you find them. I've been in fairhaven bay mon-tues and not even 1 fish caught. didnt just go for pike either. saw lots of fish tho hit the top the water for bugs etc tho...

Posted Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:23 pm

If i have the time i go rite to the Emerson bridge and float the whole river.... I have got pike at that bridge... next great pike spot is Floating down to the railroad bridge.... So start maybe an 1/8 of a mile before the railroad bridge right side you will notice less veg and boulders here n their all the way up to the R.R. bridge Great spot hammer this area hard... Next good spot floating down is.. starting at the 1st bridge after the boat house hit both sides.... U will notce a huge rock up ahead... before the huge rock there is a shallow boulder field.. I have got huge pike from their ... after that is the down tree deeper pool bridge etc etc....

Does anyone know the water level.. i may fish it this weekend

Posted Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24 am

i have no clue which body of water and where the spots are...

Posted Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:47 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links