Hi guys I'm looking in to getting a kayak but know nothing about them. I'm a big guy at 270 lbs. Just looking for some info from the pros.

Posted Sun May 22, 2016 10:43 am

270 dang. I know its $$ but for a big guy this is what you want. I fished and kayaked in $150 kayaks and up. Even canoes, 10' and up. This is what I would recommend. Roomy, stable, seat adjusts high to low, built tuff. Research them.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/14691/Native-Watercraft-Ultimate-FX-12-Kayak.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udQqSUJmpYk

Posted Sun May 22, 2016 1:13 pm

I hate feeling cramped. When I decided to try the yak approach size really did matter😅

I went with a big rig by Jackson. Wow. Super wide, tons of space/storage and you can practically walk around on it.

I believe they make an even larger version called the big tuna.

Posted Sun May 22, 2016 5:10 pm

I saw the Jackson is there a place in Mass?

Posted Sun May 22, 2016 6:19 pm

If money is no object then a Hobie Pro Angler might fit the bill!

Posted Mon May 23, 2016 5:15 am

dooman42

I saw the Jackson is there a place in Mass?

I bought my Kayak online, delivered by a 18 wheeler right to my door bubble wrapped and all. I was also looking at the Jackson Kilroy, great Kayak as well.

http://atkenco.com/jackson-kayaks/jackson-kilroy-2015-demo-3978?gclid=COi0yMGn8MwCFRFZhgod7hoNhg

Posted Mon May 23, 2016 8:34 am

I have an eagle run 12 and it fits me well I'm 6 2 260. 500 at Dick's. Pretty stable, has rod holders and dry storage not a bad kayak.

Posted Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 am

I've got a Jackson Big Rig Pro. Perfect for a big dude. Super-stable, tracks straight, easy to stand in. Pricey, though. And heavy.

Posted Tue May 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I have a Ascent 12 sit in kayak that's big for me at 260lb yak weights in at 80lbs an has a big cock pit plenty of room and a chair that I can fish for hours. They just came out with a new model called a hybrid 12 footer with even more room.

Posted Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:53 pm

just got an old town predator 13

thing is big and i like it and doesnt cost as much as the hobie and some others

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:33 am

I have an Ascend 128T and FeelFree Lure 11.5, pictured in my Avitar. I bought the Ascend at Bass Pro and the Lure at Billington Sea Kayak in Plymouth. Both will handle you and your gear nicely, are stand up steady, and have all-say comfortable seats. Had a great experience at Billington Sea.

It's right on the water and the owner lets you test paddle different models.

I'm looking to upgrade my Ascend, so if you're interested in a good used kayak, drop me a PM. If you're looking new only, give BSK a call, and best of luck.

Fishing from a kayak opens a whole new world ... A+

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:26 am

i'm 5'10 265lbs. i use a 12'6 field and stream eagle talon from dicks. cost me just under 500 on sale with some kind of coupon. i like it, the seat is acceptably comfortable enough and it has plenty of creature comforts like the paddle holders, the anchor trolley and the live well between your legs that i use to hold my keys and cell phone.

the only downside i've found is that it seems a little bit tippy. that being said, i've caught plenty of fish and have never gone over.

good luck

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:31 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links