So I've fished as a kid both open and hard water. I'm 28 and now getting back into it heavily. I don't have much luck most days. I live in Boston and fish in the area including Spy Pond and Jamica Pond, but also fish out near Charlton as my buddy has some land out there.

Can anyone help analyze my tackle and suggest what to use for what species and when? I know it's asking a lot. I've really tried to learn as much on my own, but am at the point where I need some help. I've been at it for a year now. I have amassed the collection seen here and have gone fishing probably 25-30 times last year and have probably caught 10 fish with only 2 breaking 1lb. Throughout the entire year.

I do most of my fishing from shore.

Thanks

Shaine

[/img]

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:43 pm

From shore I like Frogs an Top water Poppers an unless you have a good clearing with little or no weeds I use crank baits that go to 3ft ,spinner baits, the plastic baits you have to hook weedless . I've use spoons on bridges where I'm high from the water, jerk baits an lip less crank baits also. I've lost a few jigs snagging on log or rocks in the water from shore. This past 2 years my son an I have been using kayaks an is a whole differ ball game ! Now I use everything , never go back to shore.

Posted Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 pm

I will always have a jig tied on. It is the most consistent bait I know. It takes patients. Once you build confidence in it. You will use it all of the time. The square bills are great for fish in say 6 ft or less. From mid spring until early fall they will catch fish. I prefer a little wind when I use them and play with the retrieve until you find what they like. Don't be afraid to use them around wood and grass. One other thing I almost always have tied on is a texas rigged craw. I use a 3/8 weight most of the time

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks for the response. Ive since purchased a couple shaky head jigs and zoom trick worms. I have goals of having a kayak by the time bass fishing comes back around. I only caught one 1/4lb largemouth last year. I'd like to have better luck this year.

Posted Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:19 am

I've personally not had much luck in JP or at Spy. Spy is supposed to have good fish, but I have yet to see any in person.

Your gear looks fine. If I was you I would grab some Yamamoto senko's .I prefer the green pumpkin with chartreuse tail (though if you have JJ's, any senko works). I feel like the chartreuse gives some flash in the stained and dirty water common in this area. I also like Strike King Rage Claws. I rig either weightless or with a small peg weight or even on a small swimbait jig and just bounce it. This are good baits for small, pressured, dirty ponds/lakes.

I'd say your problem isn't your gear, but where you are trying to fish. I would suggest trying to get outside of the city. I'm on the North Shore just outside of it and I know that if I want to increase my chances, I need to go North or West, or both (or South, but that's a long trip for me).

Just stick with it and keep trying!

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:29 am

Spy has plenty of big fish in it, dont deviate from hardlures. Yes senkos work but dont limit yourself to them. Jigs are the ticket, they are versatile and you can change them a 1000 different ways. You also have to learn water clarity and colors. Different weather means different bite in every instance. The shallow cranks work great like shawn said but again you need to build up confidence in throwing them. You might throw it 100 times without a tick, but that 101st might be the one. The frog i would definitely trim down. Good luck

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Shaine I will put you on some nice fish this spring if your interested.

Posted Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Here is my two cents. I started getting into bass fishing in summer 2015 and I was in the same boat as you. I didn't have a lot of experience and so my buddy at work told me to tie on any number Mepps spinner and you will catch fish. I did just that and had an excellent summer. I caught a lot of fish other than bass, but honestly it was a fantastic way to get into fishing. I would rather catch 30 small fish with bass mixed in than catching 1 huge bass and nothing else.

This past summer I barely used the spinner, because I wanted to catch mainly bass. I got my casting down and my techniques with the spinner so I tried and taught myself how to fish with a Texas rigged weedless worm, and I caught only 10 fish all summer but they were all bass that were between 1 lb and 3.7 lb and I only caught maybe 2 or 3 other fish that weren't bass.

My suggestion is to try all kinds of lures and baits, you will figure out what technique works for you, but to be a truly good fisherman you must know all baits because sometimes the fish are just looking for something else! Good luck brother, tight lines!

Posted Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links