Hey guys,

Caught a few fish on jigs last year and would like to use them more often. My question is I usually I throw jigs on braid and I'm wondering if I use fluorocarbon I may increase my chances as its less visible than braid. I have been using more fluoro with cranks and worms and love it. I know Oldfisher is big on jigs, whats your thoughts on braid being more visible or using braid vs fluoro ? Anyone?

warmer weather in coming !!

Thx in advance
Bruce

Posted Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 pm

All of my jig rods have fluro

Posted Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:31 pm

thanks for waking me up. you can't use heavy flouro on spinning gear so you must be using baitcaster now. I think it comes down to personal preference, pro anglers are on both sides of the argument. I don't think the fish care.

Posted Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:48 pm

I bought a few jigs last year to try out in the early months but never got to use them. I have a spinning rod with 6 lb fluoro on it and a variety of football jigs with different weights. Will I be alright to use that setup with jigs?

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:14 am

you will lose jigs for sure that way. on med spinning gear I use 20-30 lb braid with light jigs 1/8, 3/16 oz. basically finesse fishing.

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:37 pm

I would not throw jigs on 6# test. Jigs need a heavy hook set, and you will lose them for sure. Not good for you, or the fish.

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Thx guys,
Oldfisher yes I finally got a baitcaster , I have it on a 7'4" Med Hvy Quatum team KVD 20lb fluoro. Just changed it to 30 lb braid. Casting well but just flipping. I bought another rod 7' Med Fast Browning Super light thinking I would be able to cast overhead like spinning rod but not deal. Just keep smacking the water 10 20 feet and birds-nest. Its like its to stiff? Can only cast side arm or flipping. Losing patients with the baitcaster what am I doing wrong, are they only good for flipping?

Thx

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Tighten the brakes until the bait barely moves when your holding it up with the spool open.

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:21 pm

can't help you with baitcasters, gave them up for various reasons years ago. but flipping was a big plus. I can still flip with a spinning rod but awkward sitting in the canoe. got some dock shooter tabs this year to try.

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:44 pm

shawneramone

Tighten the brakes until the bait barely moves when your holding it up with the spool open.

yup did that, then tried it tighter and looser same results. Sound like i need more practice.

dock shooten tabs? just watched a video, looks interesting. good luck

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 pm

stump

shawneramone

yup did that, then tried it tighter and looser same results. Sound like i need more practice.

Does the reel have internal brakes too? Usually under the side plate. If you have them, you may need to engage them.

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Dully noted, thanks for the info, I'll stick to my go-to lures and soft plastics, I'll have to get a setup for jigs someday.

Posted Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:49 am

shawneramone

stump

shawneramone

Does the reel have internal brakes too? Usually under the side plate. If you have them, you may need to engage them.

I dont think so, I think its a decent reel. this is my setup Johnny Morris Signature Series
http://www.mafishfinder.com/view_photo_details.php?id=51441&pid=10

Posted Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:26 am

You will need to look at the RH side of the reel that you show in your photo. There should be a dial on that side usually 1-10 that will be another adjustment. If there is no dial then that cover will come off and you will have internal brakes that can be adjusted.

That will also help with the control issues you are having.

Posted Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:55 am

kfrabass

You will need to look at the RH side of the reel that you show in your photo. There should be a dial on that side usually 1-10 that will be another adjustment. If there is no dial then that cover will come off and you will have internal brakes that can be adjusted.

That will also help with the control issues you are having.

Geez .. yup big ass dial on the RH side lol So I guess what you and Shawn are saying is I should be able to dial in where its make it easier to cast overhead? I'll try it out.

Thx guys

Posted Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links