I came across this during a Google search.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mass.gov/dph/fishadvisories&ved=0ahUKEwi2m8ekwLPTAhUB84MKHeWNDmgQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNEBtjmRru1i8_jLZC01x-b9ax1qSA&sig2=cqETcXltYLA_yld5bQSnFg

I find this pretty disheartening. Maybe it's just a liability issue from the state where they want to say" we warned you" in case anyone sues.

Any thoughts or feelings on this. I know they list different levels of precautions, most bodies of water the advisory seems to be avoid any fish consumption for 12 years or younger/pregnant or nursing. Also, avoid LMB.

It's sad though that we pay 30 for a license, to fish for fish that are dangerous to eat.[/url]

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 pm

its called acid rain, blame everyone west of us.

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 pm

this is something i've thought about a lot as i really like eating the fish i catch. I think there is a big element of the state saying "we warned you" for whatever reason. There are so many fishermen that eat fish from lakes and ponds on that list. Wachusett and Quabbin have advisories, that's our drinking water. Walk the shoreline any saturday in April at Wachusett and count how many fish are being kept. How many of those anglers are having health problems from eating Wachusett fish? I guarantee the answer is 0. Has anyone had health problems directly related to eating freshwater fish from Massachusetts lakes, ponds, or rivers?

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I've been eating local water fish since I can chew including family and friends. None of us have gotten sick from it. By the way it's not consumed on a daily basis. But I do refuse to fish or eat from certain area's.

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 pm

It seems that LMB are mainly on advisory for every listed body of water. Anyone have any idea why this is so?

Do they become contaminated first, or easier than other fish?

Posted Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:50 am

oldfisher

its called acid rain, blame everyone west of us.

Laughing blame the west! lol I wouldn't eat anything I catch simply for the fact that I usually pull out trash everywhere I fish or see drainage pipes spilling into the water. No thx

Posted Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:28 pm

I've noticed this too. Between the trash, run off from yards and streets, disgusting shorelines covered in goose feces AND the drainage pipes that I see multiple of on several ponds I have fished; I am having second thoughts of evwr keeping a fish again, at least from ponds around here.

Maybe if I was fishing some natural pristine area with a quality watershed surrounding it, maybe I would feel comfortable eating the fish I caught.

My brother and I were fishing Horn Pond is Woburn, and he caught a decent pickerel. He hooked him deep with the spoon, and it was bleeding pretty good, so I decided to keep him out of respect for the fishes life, and I have read on line that they are actually pretty good table fare, just a bit boney.

But now after reading the advisory for DDT for that pond, even though it only lists LMB, I'm having serious reservations on cleaning that fish and cooking it.

Posted Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm

jwo1124

I've noticed this too. Between the trash, run off from yards and streets, disgusting shorelines covered in goose feces AND the drainage pipes that I see multiple of on several ponds I have fished; I am having second thoughts of evwr keeping a fish again, at least from ponds around here.

Maybe if I was fishing some natural pristine area with a quality watershed surrounding it, maybe I would feel comfortable eating the fish I caught.

My brother and I were fishing Horn Pond is Woburn, and he caught a decent pickerel. He hooked him deep with the spoon, and it was bleeding pretty good, so I decided to keep him out of respect for the fishes life, and I have read on line that they are actually pretty good table fare, just a bit boney.

But now after reading the advisory for DDT for that pond, even though it only lists LMB, I'm having serious reservations on cleaning that fish and cooking it.

I wouldn't eat anything out of Horn Pond or any pond in MA.

Posted Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:19 pm

A Woburn newspaper just had an article about dead sunfish all over Horn pond, but mostly the lagoon. Comments to the article had people saying they also saw dead Carp and Trout. State Biologist are claiming low oxygen levels. I am not buying it. The Bass dont seem to be there either like they once were. I would not eat the trout out of there, but I am sure its fairly safe to do so. I would never eat anything that is not stocked seasonal out of Horn.

Posted Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Thats actually right. I forgot that. My brother and I saw dead sure fish at every spot we fished. Thought it might have been fish kill from the turnover of the pond.

Posted Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:04 pm

kman

A Woburn newspaper just had an article about dead sunfish all over Horn pond, but mostly the lagoon. Comments to the article had people saying they also saw dead Carp and Trout. State Biologist are claiming low oxygen levels. I am not buying it. The Bass dont seem to be there either like they once were. I would not eat the trout out of there, but I am sure its fairly safe to do so. I would never eat anything that is not stocked seasonal out of Horn.

Horn has gone through this a few times now, which is disturbing!

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 pm

pocketfisherman

kman

Ever since the water treatment facility open about 3-4 years ago Horn seems to be not as good as it was?

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:53 pm

fishingreek

pocketfisherman

kman

Ever since the water treatment facility open about 3-4 years ago Horn seems to be not as good as it was?

Seems that way, certainly that area. The bubbles of death?

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 pm

a lot of the fish specific advisories have to do with bioaccumulation which is when a substance, including toxic chemicals, builds up in the fish's body over time because it consumes more than it's body can eliminate. bioaccumulation is greater higher up in the food chain and with larger fish, like lmb, because they eat more over their lifetimes resulting in greater accumulation. fetuses and children are most at risk for harm due to consumption of fish because of their small, developing bodies.

waters in massachusetts range from near pristine (quabbin, wachusett) to places so contaminated that the federal government steps in called superfund sites (rumford river which empties into norton reservoir).

epa guidelines are based on the info available but it's each person's choice. i personally would have no issue eating fish from quabbin, wachusett or stocked trout in most bodies of water in ma. i would also eat small fish like perch from select places in ma.

Posted Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 pm

oh and this applies to salt water fish as well. the most common toxin there is mercury which i believe mainly comes from burning fossil fuels especially coal. goes up in the atmosphere and then comes down with the rain, as oldfisher said.

Posted Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links