Hey guys, I am new to Massachusetts and was looking to do some large mouth fishing. I live in the south shore and was looking for a few suggestions on ponds near me, I do not own a boat so shore access is required. I understand people don't want their spots blown up, so just PM me with any suggestions. Thanks in advanced

Posted Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:36 pm

What town is home base?

Posted Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:03 pm

weehooker

What town is home base?

I'm in Hanover

Posted Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Sorry, I know nothing at all of of that area. Hopefully somebody here PM's you a hint or two.
That said, by looking at a map, it looks like there are allot of small ponds /lakes just to your south. A search of google maps and the MA fish and wildlife web sight should turn up something.
If you have the ability, a craigslist canoe /kayak will open up a whole new world for you. The problem I find in most of Eastern MA is that the bottoms are too mucky for wading and the shorelines often overgrown.
Still, all it takes is one nice spot and your good to go.

Posted Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm

weehooker

Sorry, I know nothing at all of of that area. Hopefully somebody here PM's you a hint or two.
That said, by looking at a map, it looks like there are allot of small ponds /lakes just to your south. A search of google maps and the MA fish and wildlife web sight should turn up something.
If you have the ability, a craigslist canoe /kayak will open up a whole new world for you. The problem I find in most of Eastern MA is that the bottoms are too mucky for wading and the shorelines often overgrown.
Still, all it takes is one nice spot and your good to go.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried that and found a few ponds to get but nothing of any quality. I'll take any suggestions, I'm okay with a bit of drive!

Posted Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Get some waders. Opens up plenty of opportunities. If you don't mind driving a little, most ponds in Plymouth are wadeable.

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm

crowconor

Hey guys, I am new to Massachusetts and was looking to do some large mouth fishing. I live in the south shore and was looking for a few suggestions on ponds near me, I do not own a boat so shore access is required. I understand people don't want their spots blown up, so just PM me with any suggestions. Thanks in advanced

Hello GottaLoveLures here.Check out Ma.Trout Stock. by going on that site ive caught more trout and largemouth bass than ever before.Check out my photos i have the towns posted with them Happy Fishing🎣

Posted Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Jacobs' Pond off 123 is you're closest option. I've not been there much since the weeds were killed off. Prior to that you could count on LMB, pickerel, and yellow perch.

There's also Luddam's Ford Park off W. Elm St. in Hanover. There's some shore access there.

Houghton's Pond in the Blue Hills is pressured, but you can count on LMB and pickerel in warm weather and trout in the winter. There's some decent shore access, and fully fishable with waders.

Head south to Plymouth for LMB and SMB. Don is right on - if you have waders, you can fish almost any Plymouth that's not posted as private. Hedges pond is one of my favorite SMB waters around. It's small and you can wade the whole place in a couple hours.

Take 3 south, get off at exit 3, right at end of ramp, then left on Long Pond Rd. Long Pond rd. turns into Hedges Pond rd. Hedges pond is on your right after the YMCA campground. It sneaks up on you.

Google Earth is also your friend, as is the state's website:

https://mass-eoeea.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c956ffbcff3142c2b6295985cce37372

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 9:56 am

Mike, have you been fishing Little? I plan on hitting it in August when I am up from FL, along with my other old haunts! Smile

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 4:18 am

don51

Mike, have you been fishing Little? I plan on hitting it in August when I am up from FL, along with my other old haunts! Smile

who me? no i havent been to littles since ice fishing.

gota feell good hitting the old stomping grounds

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am

[quote="bassturds"]
don51

who me? no i havent been to littles since ice fishing.

gota feell good hitting the old stomping grounds[/quote

I was talking to the other Mike. Lol Have you been to your honey hole........ Great South?

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 am

I think Don was asking me, Mike. We've met there a couple times. I sent him a PM.

To answer the question, no, I've not been there this year either....

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Yeah, there is a lot of traffic on this site. It can get confusing! Laughing Laughing

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:20 am

That or two guys named Mike on the same thread 🙃.

You’ll have to fish Hedges Pond when you’re up, good SMB & Yellow Perch.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 am

dogbone_384

That or two guys named Mike on the same thread 🙃.

You’ll have to fish Hedges Pond when you’re up, good SMB & Yellow Perch.

Message sent.

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:10 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links