Howdy, all.

Newbie question. Is there a difference between these three baits as far as effectiveness goes?

I went trout fishing for the first time last Sunday. I was armed with 4lb main line, 1/4 oz egg sinker, small swivel stopper, 18" leader (also 4 lb test) and #8 hooks tipped with either the dough bait in yellow or Gulp Alive eggs also in yellow. I am yet to try power eggs.

My suspicion is that everyone else around me was using the power eggs. And while they were catching fish left and right, I was getting skunked.

So am I doing something wrong or is there really an advantage in using power eggs vs the other two baits?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 pm

I prefer power eggs. Not sure of size hook but it is small enough where 2 eggs covers it. Check to make sure hook is not to heavy n eggs will make it float.I make my own leaders usually around 14in or change longer or shorter if fish aren't biting.Chartreuse or white also are good colors. One of my fav baits is min marshmallow with a wax worm(meal worm)cheap bait like$2 for 24 at bait shop.Trout love em. U can even toss them out on a bobber early in year when pan fish aren't active. May have to use a little larger hook to fit mini marsh n wax worm on hook. Can be tricky keepin mallow on hook. Use same set up as power eggs slip sinker n leader. Not a big fan of dough not that it doesn't work,just hard to keep on hook n eggs stay on n can be used over n over.

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:01 pm

what badlarry said.
I use a size 8 salmon egg hook. when I use power eggs, I use 2 connected eggs and hook thru only 1 egg. if using paste, I use rainbow. yellow eggs seem to be working well this time of year. never know from day to day what color will work best. ben using rainbow for many years.sometimes orange works better, last year, they wanted pink eggs. as stated, eggs are good cuz they stay on.

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks for the tips, fellas.

I always do check to make sure the hook is floating.

The eggs I use are NOT the power eggs (small jar). They are the Gulp Alive eggs (bigger jar). Could that be the reason why I'm not getting any bites?

Has anyone on here ever used the Gulp Alive type eggs?

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:45 am

Gulp alive eggs are crap never caught a fish on them. Power eggs in white. chartreuse. Yellow. And orange is the way to go . They also make power eggs with garlic scent which I use most of the time and catch the most trout with.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 am

sharkbait76

Thanks for the tips, fellas.

I always do check to make sure the hook is floating.

The eggs I use are NOT the power eggs (small jar). They are the Gulp Alive eggs (bigger jar). Could that be the reason why I'm not getting any bites?

Has anyone on here ever used the Gulp Alive type eggs?

I have never used gulp eggs. I stand by power eggs.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:26 am

Your tackle and setup is fine - almost identical to mine which has worked just fine so far this year.

You should however try using a 4-6# fluorocarbon leader. I feel like it definitely makes a difference. Some guys use super small treble hooks for the power dough to help keep it on the hook. Personally I use a #6 baitholder hook and make sure the dough is really really well rolled and packed before I slip it onto the hook. Make sure its just enough to entirely cover the hook. Too big and it tends to fall off more often.

I like power eggs as well and use the same exact set up as above. I take two connected eggs and put one on the hook, letting the other dangle. Sometimes I toss a meal wom on there.

Honestly what it comes down to is having the "color/flavor of the day". Like others said white, yellow, green, green sparkle, orange, and pink are the go-to.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:07 am

Thanks for the input, guys.

Went down to Fish Finatics after work and bought a couple of jars of power eggs (yellow and pink), both garlic scented. I thought the price was a bit high at $5.99 per jar, but I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Gonna give it a whirl this weekend.

Thanks again, fellas.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 pm

You should do well as long as the trout are there they will bite garic yellow or chartreuse. Sometimes body of water will determine which color to use. Like I said if u r looking for a cheap effective bait, buy bag of mini marshmallows $1 n meal worms 24 for like $2 last u quite a few trips n can be deadly on finicky trout.

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:32 pm

badlarry

One of my fav baits is min marshmallow with a wax worm(meal worm)cheap bait like$2 for 24 at bait shop.Trout love em. U can even toss them out on a bobber early in year when pan fish aren't active. May have to use a little larger hook to fit mini marsh n wax worm on hook. Can be tricky keepin mallow on hook. Use same set up as power eggs slip sinker n leader. Not a big fan of dough not that it doesn't work,just hard to keep on hook n eggs stay on n can be used over n over.

marshmellow - I still use a #8 salmon egg hook. slide the marshmellow to the eye of the hook and there will be plenty of room for a couple of grubs. power bait dough can be a pain to dig it out with your finger. I take a stick about 3/8" diam and shave the end til it is flat on both sides and use it to dig out the wad that I want. roll into a solid ball and bait up.

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:44 am

When I used dough b4 power eggs came out,rainbow was my go to.

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Got some power eggs (garlic scented) from Fish Finatics in Everett and went out to Horn with a buddy yesterday.

Caught my first couple of trout ever. It was fun. Lost a couple more, though.

My buddy caught a nice trout, at least 16" long, but the line broke just as he was landing the fish. Tough break.

But he had fun, though. It was also his first trout fishing experience.

Hoping to hit Horn again this week. And possibly Spot Pond, too.

I hear fishing at Spot is a little tough going. Does anyone know of a good area for trout at Spot? Where do they release the stocked fish?

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:03 am

I have been using regular Power bait marshmallows for years and had decent results. This year I switched to the garlic scented Power Eggs and have had much better results. I think the better results has to do with the scent mostly, but the eggs do tend to stay on the line better and float longer.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 am

Glad we could help n good luck on your next trip. Tight lines!

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks, badlarry.

And thanks to all you guys on here.

Your tips have definitely helped me catch fish.

As a matter of fact, I went to Spot this past Monday (afternoon)and Tuesday (morning) with tackle in hand and all the knowledge that I've acquired on this site these past few weeks and caught my limit both days.

All but two of the fish were 14" - 16" and fat.

I was there for just under 2 hours on Monday and 43 minutes on Tuesday.

A lot of people think Spot Pond is a tough place to fish, but it is fast becoming my favorite fishing spot (no pun intended). And it's very convenient, too. I'm less than 5 minutes from there.

Once again, fellas. Thanks a million for all your help.

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links