Hoping someone might be able to offer some advice:

I fish in a canoe and kayak and can sometimes borrow other small boats when I'm in Maine or NH. I've never used a fishfinder of any sort, but I'm tempted to get one. But I'd prefer something I can move between boats easily.

Has anybody worked out a system for this? I was looking at the "Deeper 3.0" cast-able fish finder. The transducer can be put on a flexible arm with a clamp, and since the display is your iphone and the transducer has its own battery the whole thing seems pretty portable.

But I feel like I'd be paying for a feature I don't need since I can't see myself casting it from shore. And it seems like the whole thing could be a little gimmicky.

Any other ideas, product recommendations, interesting mods or custom setups for a self-contained fishfinder that can be moved between boats?

Thanks!

Posted Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:08 am

if your Yak and Canoe have rails or you don't mind screws then RAM sells both a transducer mount and fish finder mounts. Just buy extra ball mounts. the holders come with you and you screw them onto the ball mounts. The transducer mount is an over the side arm so no holes in your hull.

Posted Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks for the tip on RAM mounts. Seems like a good setup if I want to just move between my yak and canoe since I can leave the ball mounts installed. Maybe less ideal if I want to be able to bring the whole set up to a friend's boat, but that might be asking for too much (unless the Deeper 3.0 thing or some other "portable" unit is a legitimate option).

Posted Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:03 am

In case it helps anyone else who stumbles on the thread --- looking around I have come across a couple of other options. The Humminbird "Fishin Buddy" puts the screen and transducer all in one unit. Downsides seem to be flimsy mounts and battery life (it uses AAs.)

Another option is the mounts from Fish Finder Mounts .com aka float tube fanatics which make nice kits to turn regular finders into portable units. But the mounts cost as much as a decent fishfinder.

hmm...

Posted Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:16 am

I second the ram mount option. I have a kayak and a 12' Jon boat that I use a lot. I have ram ball mounts screwed in on both that my transducer arm and the fish finder mount (both from RAM Mounts) fit into. It is really easy to setup and remove on whichever I am using.

I fish up in Maine and NH a lot on small boats as well. I have a trolling motor that I bring and just zip tie the transducer arm to the shaft of the trolling motor. The transducer arm can be bent in different positions to make it fit. It isn't pretty, but gets the job done. When your done you can just cut the zip ties and be on your way.

Good luck!

Posted Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:57 am

I had a fishing buddy for years until I hit a stump and broke it. its not adjustable up and down, sits low in the water with canoe. but you can get an external power cable for it and use your big battery.

Posted Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:27 pm

I picked up a Garmin Striker 7sv and bought the portable Striker kit for $100 online. The portable kit includes carry bag, holder for the unit, 12 volt battery and charger, and power supply cord. I also got the Scotty mount adjustable transducer bracket for $28 online. It works out good, I use it on a full size boat, crawdad, kayak, and ice fishing. Shop for the accessories online, bass pro is double the money if they even have it in the store. Ram mounts are nice too.

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:56 pm

Humminbird makes a portable unit. PiranaMax. Check out the website.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:43 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links