Anyone know if anyone in the metrowest that does this? If not it will be a project for the winter. I had a guide near the bottom snap off on a spinning rod.

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:13 pm

try local bait and tackle shops.

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Not sure if they still do it, but Bass Pro Shops used to do simple rod and reel repairs. I got a guide fixed when at one when I was in Colorado, but again, I'm not sure if all shops do it, or if any do anymore.

Might be worth checking out though.

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Contact Jerry at Jerry's Bait and Tackle in Milford. 508 473 9748

Feel free to use my name

Ed Dunbar

Posted Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm

the guy at Natick Outdoor Store told me they have a guy they send rod repairs to.

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:23 am

Just got my rod back from Lunker in Ashland. The guy did a very good job. He preserved original highlight thread. It looks same as original rod. I am very pleased with the repair work.

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:50 am

Just in time to take it with you to Okeechobee! Are u still going?

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:19 am

What is the thread sealed with? Some type of epoxy? I have a few guides that are coming undone.

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:17 pm

One of the fine epoxies formulated for rod building applications are your best bet. I prefer U-40 permagloss, but I think I've seen small packages of flexcoat, which is also popular, on shelves at Dicks and Bass Pro. Not a bad idea to have some on hand just in case. Other epoxies may produce unexpected results.

If they are coming undone, it may be best to remove and replace the old thread and epoxy. Tons of great you-tube video's on how to do it, you just need to the rod building thread and epoxy, or...... If you're in the area on the north shore, let me know, and I can do it for you or show you how and you can do it yourself.

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Epoxy-Finish

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Thanks. These are old rods and just looking for a "band aid". Laughing

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:20 pm

I am going there next week. Flight is expensive but I have no choice.

jamesd

Just in time to take it with you to Okeechobee! Are u still going?

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Good luck! Take some nice pics and videos !

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:15 pm

How'd it go? I have some cracked epoxy on a guide I need fixed.

Posted Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:21 pm

The hardest part is removing the old epoxy with out hurting the blank I suggest getting a good sharp razor blade or knife. Take your time to remove all old epoxy when you get it all off take some 800 grit sand paper and lightly sand the guide area only for prep.
Check out mudhole.com they have some good videos.
I build my own rods patience is critical take you time it can be fun.
Good luck

Posted Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:52 am

A plastic knife is also a great tool for removing much of the epoxy without damaging the blank.

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:59 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links