Just wondering if fishing here is allowed. The mouth of the ipswitch river is there. I've been looking at google maps and it looks like a decent spot for some stripers. Anyone ever fish there before? I fish the mouth of the mac but am looking for somewhere new to fish.

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:21 pm

yes, it is fishable. never fished it from shore tho.

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 pm

I fish there from shore. It can be hit or miss. I've had some great fishing there at times, and at other times I've been skunked. The fish are usually feeding on sand eels.
When you get to the booth at the entrance of the reserve tell the attendant that you're going to sandy point and you won't have to pay the fee. Sandy point is federal land and they can't charge you to park there. There is a $5.00 fee to park at all the other parking spots on the reserve.

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:09 pm

I've always heard nothing but good things over the years about that spot. Sand eels and cut mackerel or herring usually are the baits of choice.

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Had my best surf casting experience ever at sandy point late summer last year. I bought a black sinking needlefish lure from surf land and caught 12 keepers on 12 casts where the river meets the beach. It was at night on a ripping outgoing tide. Then the fish moved on and the bite suddenly turned off.

Actually I just realized the Stripers in my profile picture was one from that night

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Yep...like a lot of the places, it is hit or miss. One weekend it was awesome and then the next weekend I got skunked.

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:15 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links