Anybody ever use one of these?? The action in the videos is pretty appealing..... wonder if it is as appealing to a fish as it is the human using it??

Posted Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:13 pm

YES!!! Good lure right there, if you're into "big fish hunting". The action of that one is nice, but I have actually had more luck on smaller, non-jointed soft plastic swimbaits, but I'm not sure why. Huddlestons are the best, but they're just too darn expensive, so I go with Savage or Castiac.

But to answer your question more specifically, yes, I've caught fish on that exact swimbait, except in other colorations (trout, hitch, etc.). If you're gonna fish with a big one (I'm not sure what sizes that one comes in, but I have a 10 inch), fish somewhere where you know big fish lurk. And deep, they get down.

Go with the "Butch Brown rig", or the "Southern Trout Eaters rig". I prefer the Butch Brown myself, as it allows for bottom contact. And if that is the "line through bait", it slides up and makes it very difficult for a bass to throw.

Posted Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:44 pm

I believe I caught a 12 pound Pike on that lure at Quisigamond. It was ether that lure or this one (http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Savage_Gear_Shallow_Runner_3D_Trout_Swimbait/descpage-SGSRT.html)

Posted Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Got a couple of the 6" versions on order. One floater and one slow sinker. I 'll be giving them both some work next year. Hopefully they work out as well as they do in the videos they advertise them with. Smile

Posted Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:00 pm

6 inch is the best in my opinion. You still get those huge bass looking for a real meal, but smaller bass will take them readily too, or at least more readily than a 10 inch lure.

Let us know how you do in the spring Very Happy

Posted Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:06 pm

yes, these guys are right. It's definitely a great swim bait. And the action is just as good in real life, as it is in the video. the only downside with this bait, and isnothing major, is having to cut your line to take the bait on and off. Other than that it's a great bait at a great price.

Posted Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:36 pm

The more I research Savage Gear products, the more I like them. The Soft 4 Play looks like a really good lure too. Back to the Line Through 3D Trout - what kind of rod and real would be good to throw the 6 inch model? I have a 7 ft MH rod and an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur SX that I plan to use out of my kayak. I'd like to go with a longer rod, but that usually means a longer handle and that can be a pain in the a** in a kayak.

Posted Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:57 am

fdw9652

I have a 7 ft MH rod and an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur SX that I plan to use out of my kayak.

That should throw 6 inchers, no problem. I like a longer rod, but for smaller swimbaits, your 7 footer should be fine.

Posted Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:06 am

I would go with a rod that has a mod fast action and is designed to throw a 2 ounce bait. Hook penetration and keeping a fish pinned is key.
I have yet to catch a fish on the savage gear in line swim bait. A bunch of blow ups this past year, but didn't get one to inhale the bait.

Posted Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:59 am

What size swimbait were you using?? I was watching somebody somewhere on YouTube chucking an 8 inch Line Through Trout and was catching hawgs with it. But I know the video was filmed on some Florida lake. I think a 6 inch bait up here, being the size they are diameter wise might work better. Savage Gear 6 inch floater is an ounce and a slow sinker is 1.5 ounces.

Posted Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:22 pm

I just checked my baits. I've been throwing the 8" version this past season. Lol Now I'll have to get some of those 6" baits.

Posted Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:36 pm

A 6 inch lure will definitely catch more fish, but an 8 incher will catch more a decent amount. Well, maybe I should correct myself. It will catch plenty of massive bass if you put in the time (which can be a lot). Now that said, I primarily throw 6 and 7 inchers, unless I'm fishing a lake that I know contains good quantities of huge bass. Then I'll throw an 8-10 inch lure.

Posted Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:49 pm

I have two 8" lures. I'm ordering two more, but this time the 6" version.

Posted Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:51 pm

My 6" order just came in today. They seem like they will be awesome to try next year. I ordered a floater and the slow-sink model in "Dirty Silver". May try the 8" if I have any luck with these. I can't wait to throw these bad boys....

Posted Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:57 pm

I like the "Floater" better, just personal preference. Dirty Silver is cool looking!

Posted Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links