how much ice is truly left on the southeast ponds? because i still see guys out ice fishing on Monponsett and the nip, even tho the edges are all water for the most part(from what i can see from the roads). i put away the ice gear, and now im wondering why as im watching ice fishermen when im driving around with regular rods searching for open water. i know its soon for open water, but the itch to get out and fish is killing me.

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Chatham reported 8inches of ice at this week. So, you are out of luck at anywhere.. Unless you can find the warm discharge or spring or small ponds that should be open water right now.. Your best bet is hit the major river.

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Dang

Posted Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:59 pm

yeah, dang is right word! lol I predict most of ponds will be open water by first week of April. (not all of them but yeah, it will be fishable.) So, get ready, boys!!!

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:26 am

Plenty of ice left. The sun is eating away at the N, NW and NE edges. Edges go first, that is why you will see guys using planks to get out. Never seen anything like this before and I'm old Exclamation Laughing

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:53 am

im done ice fishing for the year! i would never do the plank trick!

i agree with deaf fishermen. 1st week of april

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Have you fished Sabattia before? Most of the southern cut, down by the dam, is open. Shore fishing is possible at the big pull-off on Bay Street right before Home Plate.

Posted Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:52 am

kenwood

Have you fished Sabattia before? Most of the southern cut, down by the dam, is open. Shore fishing is possible at the big pull-off on Bay Street right before Home Plate.

I've never fished it, but I will definetly check it out this weekend!

Posted Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:31 am

looks like the weather is - finally - getting better! with next week temperatures predicted above freezing during the night and around 50 almost every day hopefully the ice may melt fast. Do you guys think think most ice will be gone by april 4th-5th? Can't wait!!!

Posted Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:30 am

answer3

looks like the weather is - finally - getting better! with next week temperatures predicted above freezing during the night and around 50 almost every day hopefully the ice may melt fast. Do you guys think think most ice will be gone by april 4th-5th? Can't wait!!!

. I sure hope the ice will be gone by then, most places, the ice will be shot by the weeked after all this rain and warmth, hopefully Plymouth will be open for open water fishing this weekend.

Posted Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 am

ice out is just around the corner... the rain helped a lot and should only be a week or so until we see majority of ponds open. I have done the plank before but my open water itch is way to strong this year.... id rather find a 20' hole of open water to fish right now

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:49 am

Yeah I respect all those who do the plank ice fishing, but I'm not really a fan of the idea, the ice in most of the ponds around me in the southeast, the ice is pretty shot,but for open water I'm really looking forward to going on the search this afternoon.

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:08 pm

chowda66

Yeah I respect all those who do the plank ice fishing, but I'm not really a fan of the idea, the ice in most of the ponds around me in the southeast, the ice is pretty shot,but for open water I'm really looking forward to going on the search this afternoon.

Let us know what you find for open water.

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:10 pm

I will report what I find, gunna look at monponsett and Robbins

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Doesn't look promising for this weekend. Only the edges were water with a small pocket by the out flowing river at Robbins. Not sure what monponsett looks like, could be better.

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:04 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links