I was wondering if anybody here is sponsored. Like by a lure, rod, boat company, etc. And how you get sponsors. I'm not looking to become sponsored- I just have been watching some tournaments on TV, and am interested to see how the pros got started.

Posted Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:55 pm

teamtrout

I was wondering if anybody here is sponsored. Like by a lure, rod, boat company, etc. And how you get sponsors. I'm not looking to become sponsored- I just have been watching some tournaments on TV, and am interested to see how the pros got started.

Unless you have a rep as a big bass catcher(as in trophy bass) then it's bein successful in tourneys. Sending in basically a resume and why you should be sponsored and how you will promote their product in a positive way.

Posted Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:28 pm

Sponsors want to get something out of you and in return you'll get baits and products. I have 19 sponsors as of today and it's a lot of work keeping up with them and giving them reports on what your doing and how your helping them. It's not just a sport it's a business. Try smaller companies and work your way up to the bigger ones. Anytime you call or email a company you need to sound professional as you might be talking to a bait shop or tackle shop about said lures and your representing there company so they want reliable friendly people they can put there faith into. Good luck

Posted Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 pm

There is a big difference between being sponsored, and receiving a 15% discount on product for a company because you put their logo at the end of your youtube videos. Pros are pros because they pay their bills through fishing. They have sponsors which pay them. This can be through entry fees, product, salary if they are involved in product design, and other things. It takes a lot to get to that level. I was an elite series marshal at the Cayuga event last month and on the third day of the tournament I was paired with Jacob Powroznik. He is a great guy, great fisherman, and I learned a lot about the sport as a business and a job. He talked about how mad it gets him to see all these weekend anglers going around saying how they are sponsored and what not. What gets to him is that with all these guys doing that, it takes away from the guys who have actually earned sponsorship positions and make a living doing so. He said he never approached a company about sponsorship. He let his fishing do the talking. If you can fish, the companies will come to you.

Posted Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links