Has anybody caught a pin fish yet? They don't update them till March 1st, so if you caught one you want to share (with or without a picture), tell us here!

I've struck out as far as big enough fish so far. Too many darn perch taking my shiners, and too many darn sunfish taking my worms. I got 1 perch that would have been big enough, but I didn't have a witness. Hope someone has been getting some!

Posted Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Yea, Deaffisherman aka Mark the Shark caught multiple pin fish this past year. Including a 9.5lb Largie. He's a beast.

Posted Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:13 pm

I've got one this year so far.

Posted Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:17 pm

LOL! I'm not normally start collect pins until May. In fact, I haven't hunt any of them yet. You guys will know when I'm starting pound them. Hopefully soon, doubtful for me until March. Too much things to do before I have free time to fish. Good luck guys! Keep this post as thread! Really like the idea of this post.

Last year, I got 2.9lbs yellow perch and 8.5lbs brown trout.

This year, I'm quest on gold pin larry(9-10lbs), smallie(6lbs), Bullhead(will be state record breaker), carp(will be state record breaker), and sunfish(1.3-1.8lb).

Those two state record breaker fish, I did actually saw them swimming at last year. Failed to able hook them up. This year, I'm determined to get them to bite and land it. Whooo! This year will be lost count of sleepless days for sure. Twisted Evil

Posted Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Mark is aquaman! Don't tell anyone. He was impressive on the salmon river. Learned a lot from him in just a couple hours.

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:49 pm

deaffisherman

This year, I'm quest on gold pin Bullhead(will be state record breaker), carp(will be state record breaker)

Those two state record breaker fish, I did actually saw them swimming at last year. Failed to able hook them up. This year, I'm determined to get them to bite and land it. Whooo! This year will be lost count of sleepless days for sure. Twisted Evil

State record bullhead and carp?! Over 6 pounds, and over 46 pounds! Wow! I can't imagine seeing a 50 pound carp swimming by! I need to fish with you!! Very Happy

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm

catfishkid - if you put countless hours on the water, you are bound to see some odds like I did. I saw couple of carps that could be potiental state record. Unfortunately, I had no chance to hook them up. So far, only three lakes that I have seen them swam by. Laterally 4 footer. no joke. I'll try my best to get them this spring when spawn activity is begin. Since I heard its easiest way to get them. I hope! lol

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 am

Wow, that must've been quite a sight! The spawn is actually the hardest time to catch them - they are focused so much on other things, that most serious carpers agree they are very difficult to catch. But this is the best time to see them, as they'll come right in. Try right before the spawn, and right after - you should be able to see them in close, and they'll be eating heavily again. Good luck! It'd be awesome to see a new record carp, that isn't shot with a bow!

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:26 am

I know, they are hard to catch during spawn but I can able to hand feed most of them on the spawn time. They will gulp everything down. I don't know, maybe it just me, maybe that's why people called me - Aquaman? lol But just that one, only one refused to eat anything. wont even stop moving. Consistently swimming probably 50 feet away from me then back to me. Get away again then get back to me again. This year, I will try stay there until I able to hook up one! I want to have carp breaker! Also, one of river, I spotted albino carp. I'm guess it was grass carp. It was biggest carp I ever seen. If I got that one, I'll be pumping scream until my pipe is fading down and getting a mount! It will be done by legal on hook! Not stupid bow hunt!

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:42 am

deaffisherman

Also, one of river, I spotted albino carp. I'm guess it was grass carp. It was biggest carp I ever seen. If I got that one, I'll be pumping scream until my pipe is fading down and getting a mount! It will be done by legal on hook! Not stupid bow hunt!

Probably a koi. Many ponds around here have them, surprisingly. Don't think there are grass carp up here.

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:19 am

You are right about koi. But no, it is not definitely koi from what I saw. It is missile shape. (Reason I said it was white color because of murky strain in water. Its probably silver or emerald color. who knows. Anyway, I did research them and saw pictures that is exactly same from one that I saw.) I did saw several koi in where I fish but that one is definitely not koi. I talked with Mass Wild&Life about grass carp. They said we does have them in here. For farming reasons. However, they stated that some people did stock them into places that they aren't supposed to be there. Also, he said, grass carp is one of hardest carp to be caught on hook. due to their feeding. Someone will be very lucky angler if he/she got grass carp.

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:14 pm

Thats cool! Yeah, they stock them in AZ, NM, CA, and all those places to eat the vegetation. I've heard fly fishing is the easiest way to catch them, because they are so spooky.

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:41 pm

catfishkid

Thats cool! Yeah, they stock them in AZ, NM, CA, and all those places to eat the vegetation. I've heard fly fishing is the easiest way to catch them, because they are so spooky.

In some cases, it's not so "cool". Certain carp are invasive, and have by all evidence available ruined the habitat of the native species - a number of local ponds included. We shouldn't be messing with mother nature by introducing non-native species for our benefit, e.g. weed control.

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Oh, I know that some places have been ruined, but grass carp usually aren't the problem. The places where they are stocked down south greatly benefit from having them, but of course, you're right that they could have a different effect up here.

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:34 pm

To get this back on the original theme of sportfishing award pind, congrats to Mark for tying for the Adult angler of the year with Todd Matera! Way to go Mark! And Jake Souza wins his third in the past three years! That kid can fish!

Posted Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:18 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links